Operations & Communications Director
Type of Job
65 to 80k
Jul 29, 2022
About the job
Reports to: Executive Director, Project Coyote
Job Description: The Operations & Communications Director oversees smooth functioning organizational operations and communications while increasing the visibility of the organization, its programs, and advocacy efforts. The Operations & Communications Director will report to the Executive Director and will oversee two part-time employees, coordinating closely with program staff (including Carnivore Conservation Director and Creative Manager), consultants, advisors, and volunteers. The director position will be instrumental in supporting the organization’s strategic expansion and is an exciting opportunity to join a highly effective and growing organization.
About Project Coyote*: Project Coyote’s mission is to promote coexistence between people and wildlife through education, science, and advocacy. Visit us at ProjectCoyote.org.
Communications/Outreach Management (managing P/T Social Media Assistant – SMA)
- Oversees all Project Coyote’s external communications and outreach, including donor appeals, e-newsletters, news releases, and e-alerts, with support and assistance from the SMA and Project Coyote programs/campaigns team.
- Leverage Salsa/CRM to advance public and donor outreach.
- Develop and execute innovative and effective digital marketing and campaign outreach initiatives across selected social media platforms with the support of the SMA and programs/campaigns team.
- Manage remote Google Voice and email inquiries to Project Coyote from external outlets and general public and distribute to appropriate staff for timely expert response.
- Assist Creative Manager with website posts and ensure the website is kept up to date.
- Support Project Coyote field representatives and volunteers in activity and events coordination with support from programs/campaigns team.
Operations Management (managing P/T Development & Operations Coordinator – DOC)
- Work with the senior management team (Executive Director and Carnivore Conservation Director) on strategic planning for the organization and ensure that annual and strategic goals are being met and followed for all operations.
- Oversee DOC’s operations and administrative duties:
- Expertise management of donor database (CRM/Salsa)
- Timely gift processing and acknowledgements
- Managing organization’s internal documents and records with Google Business Workspace
- Assisting with grant writing and foundation research and maintain grant reports and appeals
- Managing Project Coyote’s presence at all events (online/in-person)
- Maintaining corporate and individual donor files in Google Business Workspace
- Manage vendors, accounts, and supplies; ensure office rent/bills paid on time, etc.
- Assist and support Executive Director where needed.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with high-energy, positive, “can-do” attitude
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in communications/outreach, development/marketing, operations or related fields – ideally in a non-profit setting
- Experience coordinating and managing staff and volunteers
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills required
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in all types and levels of communication
- Working knowledge of digital marketing, donor relations and/or public relations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Business Workspace/ Drive; and Salsa or similar CRM program
- Experience with WordPress website and graphic design skills a plus
- Strong belief in the mission and values of Project Coyote
- Proficiency in all social media platforms
Compensation: Salary range: $65-$80K DOE; comprehensive benefits package through fiscal sponsor Earth Island Institute, including medical, vision and dental insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Location: Project Coyote offers a flexible work environment with Mill Valley, CA in-office and home schedule; remote location will be considered for exceptional candidates.
Start date: Open until filled. Applicant reviews will begin in August 2022
To apply: Please send a letter of interest, CV/resume, and writing samples by email to: email@example.com. Please type “Operations & Communications Director” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
*Project Coyote is a fiscally sponsored project of Earth Island Institute, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, public interest, membership organization that supports people who are creating solutions to protect our shared planet. EII provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws