Oil and Gas Researcher
Type of Job
About the job
Oil and Gas Junior Researcher - Documented
Experience: Two years of research experience
Term: full-time employee
Documented is looking for a junior researcher to support ongoing investigations into the oil and gas industry’s influence on public policy. This researcher will collaborate with colleagues, journalists, and allies to expose unethical, illegal, and negligent behavior. They will develop expertise on oil and gas issues, particularly issues relevant to shale oil and gas development.
Documented is a watchdog group that investigates how corporations manipulate public policy, harming our environment, communities, and democracy. Started in 2017, Documented has conducted groundbreaking investigations on senior Trump administration officials, industry trade associations, and corporate networks such as the American Legislative Exchange Council and the State Policy Network. Our work has influenced congressional hearings, national media coverage, and corporate behavior.
Role & Responsibilities:
The position will take on a variety of roles to assist the Documented research team in long-term investigations. The exact job responsibilities are fluid day to day, and require creative thinking and independent thinking. The job necessitates someone who is flexible, doggedly interested in these issues, able to identify (typically overlooked) connections between individuals, organizations and politicians, and who will bring an entrepreneurial spirit to the job.
Ideal candidates should have:
- 2 years experience working as a researcher, campaigner, advocate, or analyst.
- Working knowledge of the oil and gas industry
- Familiarity with investigative research methods including public records requests, human source development, and databases, as well as resourcefulness and creativity with research conducted via social media platforms, traditional media or other sources.
- Strong attention to detail and an interest in digging through long and sometimes tedious documents.
- Interest in parsing through and analyzing complex data or business/financial language to connect the dots to human-centered stories.
- Strong writing skills. This researcher will develop memos summarizing key research findings either for internal discussion or for possible publication online, including working with editors to finalize any research to ensure it is well documented and well written.
- Desire to collaborate with allies and teammates in a fast-changing environment.
- A willingness to dive in, make mistakes, learn quickly, and have some fun. Our team will be here to support you.
Documented is committed to creating an inclusive community and strongly encourages those who identify as women, gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, people of color, and persons with disabilities to apply.
The compensation for this position is $50,000. We offer health insurance, which includes vision and dental care. We also provide life insurance and disability coverage, as well as parental leave, sick and vacation time.