Office of General Counsel Coordinator
Flexible; Oakland, CA or Washington DC preferred. This position will be supporting staff in Oakland and Washington DC offices but location is flexible and hybrid work-from-home/in-office scheduling is available.
Type of Job
$62,000-$65,000 non-negotiable for salary region 1 (e.g.; Oakland, CA or Washington, DC)
Jan 31, 2022
About the job
Job Title: Office of General Counsel Coordinator
Department: FinOps, Office of General Counsel
Location: Flexible; Oakland, CA or Washington DC preferred. This position will be supporting staff in Oakland and Washington DC offices but location is flexible and hybrid work-from-home/in-office scheduling is available. Some infrequent travel should be expected, with frequency increasing if not based in Oakland or Washington, DC offices. This position requires an ability to travel.
Reports To: Assistant General Counsel Senior Director of Compliance
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Office of General Counsel (OGC) Coordinator performs various administrative duties to support the day-to-day operations of the Office of General Counsel. The Office of General Counsel promotes the success of the Sierra Club by providing legal services, counsel, and strategic guidance to help the organization achieve mission-advancing goals, while also identifying and acting to manage risks and ensure compliance with legal requirements. This position will support the Office of General Counsel in a confidential capacity and will have access to confidential information related to labor relation matters and about future bargaining strategy and/or changes that may result from collective bargaining. A background check will be required upon acceptance of the position.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the efficiency of the Office of General Counsel. You offer scheduling and logistical support to the Office of General Counsel. You support the team's administrative needs by providing support on tools, meetings, vendor relationships and payments. You manage the team's communications plan implementation and submit content for internal communications.
- Workflow management. You manage OGC's mail and email inboxes to ensure communications are being relayed to appropriate stakeholders in a timely fashion. You coordinate the team's regular review and updates of guidance memos to the organization and manage the records retention of OGC digital files that include memos and contracts.
- Regulatory Reporting Support. You support the compliance functions of Sierra Club's advocacy and political programs by sending reminders to stakeholders for campaign finance and lobbying reporting, assisting in campaign finance filings preparation, and preparing documents for staff and volunteers to engage in political work. There may be occasions close to elections in which you are asked to provide additional support as needed.
- Training Facilitation. You schedule trainings for the team, prepare materials, track attendance, manage OGC's intranet presence, and follow up with participants. You offer administrative support during trainings and provide technical support to the trainers.
- Behind the scenes support for the entire organization. You provide behind the scenes support for compliance efforts on flagship Sierra Club productions and emerging tools. You provide behind the scenes support for the organization's contracts management plan and record retention policy. Trademark watch; allocations
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Understanding of big picture, ability to delve into details
- Proficiency with computer and web programs including word processors, spreadsheets, databases, and web forms.
- Highly organized with an ability to not lose sight of details on multiple different projects at once. Ability to prioritize and manage competing demands.
- Ability to interact effectively with different stakeholders. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent listening skills and ability to ask informed questions.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an understanding of, or are willing and able to learn about, the ways racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Paralegal or administrative support experience in a similar role at a mission driven organization or a law firm
- Understanding of nonprofit organizations
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $62,000-$65,000 non-negotiable for salary region 1 (e.g.; Oakland, CA or Washington, DC)
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 6 non-exempt, non-represented, confidential position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee's manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Apply online: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SIERRACLUB&cws=39&rid=1883
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Philosophy"), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
The position will be open to receive applications until the vacancy is filled.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.