Northeast Coastal Resilience Program Manager
Type of Job
$60,000 - $65,000
Jan 24, 2023
About the job
About the National Wildlife Federation:
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) has grown into America's largest and most trusted environmental conservation organization with more than six million members and supporters and 52 state and territorial affiliates—autonomous, nonprofit organizations that take the lead in state and local conservation efforts and collaborate with NWF to conduct advocacy activities on national issues. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. In order to save wildlife and ourselves, the National Wildlife Federation believes that we need to ensure that everyone in the United States of America has clean air and water, safe communities, easy, safe, and equitable access to the daily benefits of nature, and protection from the ravages of climate change. These basic needs, equally necessary and urgent for all people, are foundational to bringing the conservation movement and ethos into the 21st century.
About Coastal Resilience at NWF:
The National Wildlife Federation has been a leader in the field of climate adaptation and its application to enhancing the resilience of coastal ecosystems and communities. Beginning in the late 1990s NWF focused attention on the impact of rapid climate change on wildlife and their habitats, and in the mid-2000s formally established a program in climate change adaptation. Over the past several years much of the organization’s climate adaptation work has focused on coastal issues with particular emphasis on the Atlantic Coast, Gulf Coast, and Great Lakes. NWF’s coastal resilience efforts are focused on advancing the use of natural and nature-based approaches, as well as the restoration and protection of natural infrastructure like wetlands, dunes and barrier islands, to measurably reduce community risk to coastal impacts while increasing the resilience of coastal ecosystems.
Statement of General Purpose:
The Northeast Coastal Resilience Program Manager will work to advance the practical application of natural and nature-based infrastructure to help protect wildlife, natural systems, ecosystem services and human communities from coastal impacts that are being exacerbated by climate change. While the Manager will be working in support of NWF’s Northeast Regional Center (NERC), this position will also work with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Center (MARC) to support cross-regional efforts and is part of a national team at NWF focused on addressing coastal resilience issues of regional and national significance.
While the NERC office is located in Montpelier, VT, we have staff working remotely from Vermont, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York City, Virginia, and Louisiana. Due to the project management components of this position, preference will be given towards candidates that live or are willing to relocate to the Northeast Region (New England, NY, NJ).
Principle Duties (major areas of responsibility):
- Partner with coastal communities, with a focus on frontline and underserved communities, to advance natural and nature-based approaches for hazard risk reduction and the enhancement of coastal habitats and associated ecological services
- Lead on-the-ground, multi-partner natural infrastructure projects, including but not limited to: living shorelines, dune nourishment, oyster reefs, and coastal habitat restoration projects
- Help to identify and secure foundation and government funding opportunities to advance the program and work with partners to effectively and efficiently meet grant deliverables;
- Provide strategic input to state, local, and federal coastal resource managers, affiliates and other partners and represent NWF on relevant advisory committees and working groups;
- Plan and organize events, including expert panels, workshops, and conferences;
- Prepare reports and other written products, and disseminate key findings to professional and general audiences.
- Bachelor's degree (advanced degree or 4 years of relevant professional experience preferred)
- On-the-ground experience with community outreach and engagement
- A clear understanding of coastal management issues
- Familiarity with the benefits and application of natural and nature-based infrastructure
- Must have a professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills
- Must have demonstrated budget and project management experience, and demonstrated problem solving abilities
- Must be a strategic thinker, well organized, positive communicator; relationship builder and have a demonstrated ability to set goals and priorities, and meet deadlines
In addition, candidates should have proven or demonstrated:
- Ability to develop and manage strategic partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders;
- Capacity to strategically conceive and execute programs with clear objectives, benchmarks, and deliverables in accordance with deadlines, including strong project management skills;
- Competency in securing and managing consistent grant funding;
- High degree of initiative and ability to be a self-starter;
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills; and
- Genuine commitment to the conservation legacy and overall mission of the National Wildlife Federation, especially the science-based and collaborative approach of the Federation to achieve its mission and strategic plan outcomes.
The Northeast Coastal Resilience Manager is expected to exemplify the National Wildlife Federation’s core values (collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus) and demonstrate leadership competencies including:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
There will be regional travel required in this role, approximately 15% of the time, in accordance with COVID-19 safety guidelines.
Location and Work Mode:
This position is based out of our Northeast Regional Center in Montpelier, VT. The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in the office, in a hybrid manner, or fully remote, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), and 10 holidays.
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.