Night Skies Program Coordinator
Type of Job
Feb 4, 2021
About the job
The ideal candidate for this position enjoys engaging with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds. They candidate will be involved in education and outreach efforts to minimize the impacts of light pollution and establishing outdoor lighting policies. This role will be fundamental in ensuring that parts of Texas' skies can remain certified Dark Sky Places. This position reports to the Executive Director and Program Director of HCA and works in close coordination with the entire staff. Primary areas of responsibilities include:
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & COALITION BUILDING (50%)
- Facilitate meetings, engage partners in HCA’s night skies work, and coordinate Hill Country night skies initiatives with both local and state efforts.
- Grow community support for night skies preservation and for specific night skies preservation programs.
- Craft and deliver public presentations on night skies preservation.
- Create timely, relevant public outreach messages, policy comments and issue briefs that reflect the HCA mission and core strategies.
- Raise public awareness of night skies preservation policies, programs, and strategies through traditional and nontraditional media outlets.
- Plan and execute outreach events, including Hill Country Night Sky Month, the Hill Country Dark Sky Conference, and workshops and seminars.
- Provide guidance to local and state government officials, as well as local stakeholder groups pursuing night skies preservation in their communities.
- Current ongoing projects include: Hill Country Night Sky Month; developing and supporting “Friends of the Night Sky” groups in each Hill Country County.
STRATEGIC PROJECT DEVELOPMENT & MANAGEMENT (40%)
- Identify, plan, and execute collaborative projects designed to improve the long-term preservation of Hill Country night skies.
- Partner with regional and local stakeholders including residents, elected officials, city and county staff, utility managers, nonprofits, universities, chambers of commerce, schools, retailers, and others.
- Coordinate and implement timely responses to emergent issues as well as long-term strategies with a diverse spectrum of partners.
- Craft focused policy strategies that advance night skies-related goals at the local, regional, and state level.
OPERATIONS AND ADMINISTRATION (10%)
- Maintain project and grant budgets, manage contract staff, and ensure timely reporting.
- Craft annual program work plan, budget, and fundraising strategy in coordination with executive director and development staff.
- Compose grant applications and develop and manage relationships with key funders.
- Work collaboratively with HCA administrative and communications staff and board members.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS & PREFERRED EXPERTISE
- Degree in environmental, science, policy, education, or related field or a minimum of 2 years of experience in nonprofit, governmental agency, or related field.
- Must be highly motivated, energetic, deadline-oriented and able to handle multiple priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communications skills.
- Self-starter, lots of initiative and ability to work independently.
- Availability to work two to three evenings or weekends per month.
- Must have a vehicle, valid driver’s license, and willingness to travel throughout the 17-county Hill Country for daytrips and very occasional overnight trips. Daytrips occur about once per week, overnight trips about 3 times per year.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite.
- This is a salaried position, though the number of hours is negotiable in the range of 30 to 40 hours per week.
- Salary baseline (if 40 hours/week) $42,000, negotiable commensurate with experience.
- The Hill Country Alliance values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. We have a flexible 40-hour workweek schedule that can be modified to meet staff needs. At times (approximately 5%) evening and weekend work will be necessary, time off may be taken during regular hours to compensate.
- Staff typically works from the office about once per week and the rest of the time from home or in the field for meetings and events. During the pandemic, staff is working from home with monthly outdoor, socially distanced staff meetings.
- Two weeks paid vacation.
- 10 major holidays, plus the entire week between Christmas and New Years, paid time off.
- 6 weeks of paid, plus 6 weeks of optional unpaid, maternity/paternity leave.
- Up to 3% contribution to retirement plan after 6 months’ employment.
- Option of medical insurance or $200/month stipend after 1 month of employment.
- HCA offices located in Dripping Springs. Amazing Hill Country experiences and a network of support in the form of HCA Board of Directors, donors, and partner organizations.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Target start date is late February or March 2021.
Hill Country Alliance is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. HCA is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. If you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
We are especially excited about increasing applications from people who understand the value of promoting diversity, equity and inclusion including people with disabilities, Black, Indigenous, people of color, and LGBTQ+.
Candidates should send their cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add the subject title “Night Skies Program Coordinator” in the email.