Nevada Government Affairs Manager
Remotely from the Carson City-Reno or Las Vegas metropolitan areas
Type of Job
Mar 2, 2022
About the job
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking a Government Affairs Manager to support our legislative, regulatory, and administrative advocacy efforts in Nevada. Reporting to the Government Affairs Director, this position involves working closely with WRA’s program and marketing and communications staff to advance innovative legislative and administrative policy solutions critical to addressing the state’s most pressing conservation challenges. The Nevada Government Affairs Manager focuses on advancing policies related to climate and clean energy and a small amount of lands-related advocacy work. This individual is a highly motivated strategic thinker who possesses sound judgment, strong decision-making skills, and political acumen.
The position can work remotely from the Carson City-Reno or Las Vegas metropolitan areas, be based in WRA’s Carson City office, or a hybrid remote and in-office setting.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Work collaboratively with WRA’s program and communications staff to develop and implement public policy advocacy efforts with legislative, regulatory, and administrative decision makers in Nevada.
- Coordinate with WRA’s policy and marketing and communications staff to craft communications strategies and messaging that accurately and persuasively conveys WRA’s advocacy positions to stakeholders and decision makers.
- In coordination with program staff, read and analyze the potential impact of proposed legislation and administrative policies.
- Monitor and track relevant state and local policies.
- Build relationships with elected leaders and other decision-makers, and serve as a liaison between them and WRA staff.
- Identify, recruit and organize a diverse group of opinion leaders in the state to engage with decision-makers in support of WRA’s policies and positions.
- Identify and manage effective coalitions of diverse partners in the region to advance WRA’s priorities.
- Occasional travel to meetings and events, generally within Nevada.
- If the Nevada Government Affairs Manager is not based in the Carson City-Reno metro area, travel to the state capitol during the legislative session will be required.
- Proven experience developing and executing strategic government affairs, external affairs, communications, and/or advocacy campaigns.
- Understanding of, and familiarity with, Nevada politics and policy makers, especially as they relate to energy and climate change policies.
- Experience building coalitions with a diverse group of stakeholders to advance public policy objectives with decision makers.
- Comfort and skill in communicating with a variety of constituencies and audiences.
- Ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence or lead others on complex subjects.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, with attention to detail and follow‐through.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $73,000-$90,000 annually; salary depends on relevant experience and new staff rarely start at the top of the range. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k)-retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave, and sabbatical leave after five years. WRA is also closed the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day for Winter Break. Position is full-time exempt.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: OPEN UNTIL FILLED WITH PRIORITY REVIEW BEGINNING MONDAY, MARCH 28, 2022