National Trails Office Sign Planning Fellowship
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Type of Job
$425/week + Americorps
May 20, 2022
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience (ACE), a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS) is seeking a Trails Sign Planning Fellow interested in dedicating 18 months to support the National Trails Office with trail development, historic preservation, and resource stewardship for the Pony Express and California National Historic Trails.
For more information about ACE and to apply, please visit: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/788739.html
Start Date: June 27, 2022
End Date: December 22, 2023
Duration: 18 months
Location: National Trails Office (NTIR), Santa Fe, New Mexico
National Trails administers nine national historic trails and one historic highway that, combined, stretch for 25,000 miles across 24 states. The National Trails Office works with a diversity of partners to protect, develop, and promote these special places. Their staff of interdisciplinary experts assist community groups, private landowners, nonprofit organizations, tribes, and federal, state, county, and local agencies with site planning and design, on-the-ground trail mapping, educational opportunities, and identifying resources.
For more information about the National Trails Office (NTIR) based out of Santa Fe, NM, please visit: https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1453/index.htm
Living Allowance: ACE Fellow is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $425/week to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
Housing Allowance: Housing is not provided by ACE or NPS. A reimbursement not to exceed $1,400/month will be provided to help offset the cost of housing.
Relocation Allowance: A reimbursement not to exceed $1,400 ($700 each way) will be provided to help offset the cost of relocation.
AmeriCorps: This position may be eligible for a 1700-hour ($6,345) AmeriCorps Education Award and a 900-hour (~$3,200) AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of service hours. Additional enrollment is required.
Position Description: The ACE Fellow will plan for and develop national historic trails (NHTs) through road/pedestrian signing along the California NHT, Pony Express NHT, and other NHTs as time allows. Duties will include:
- Assist in the development and implementation of California and Pony Express National Historic Trail (NHT) sign plans for the state of California based on NTIR established process and sign system, either in close collaboration with project partners or independently.
- Research, reach-out to, and work with the appropriate state and local road jurisdictions and land managers for the approval and installation of the signs
- Research and assist in the purchasing of sign installation materials
- Provide regular communication with a range of federal, state, non-profit organizations, and other trail partners to collaborate on signing and development activities
- Assist trail partners and communities with development of draft sign plans, including use of online sign-planning tools
- Assist NTIR staff and partners with other NHT-related activities as needed, including attendance at public events, preparation of social media content, and other office priorities
This position will be based out of Santa Fe, New Mexico and will require some travel. There will be a required 11-day trip in July and another similar length trip at a later time.
- Strong writing, communication, outreach, and organizational skills
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, and ability to multi-task
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request)
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 by the time they start their term or request a medical or religious exemption
- Knowledge and experience using: ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Word and Excel
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/788739.html
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC Program Manager, Jen Wells, at email@example.com.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.