National Public Lands Day Intern
Type of Job
Apr 14, 2022
About the job
Are you passionate about public lands and making a positive impact on the environment? Do you thrive in collaborative work environments and value diverse and unique learning opportunities? Are you eager to connect your personal interests to a mission-driven organization that supports professional growth? NEEF has an excellent opportunity for a National Public Lands Day (NPLD) Intern to join our team.
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) is a national leader in building public environmental literacy. Congressionally chartered in 1990 as a 501c3 nonprofit to complement the work of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), NEEF is a non-partisan, non-advocacy organization working to make the environment more accessible, relatable, relevant, and connected to the daily lives of all
Americans. NEEF collaborates with respected organizations, from both the public and private sector, to develop programs and trainings, organize events, and fund projects that empower people to positively impact our environment. NEEF’s major partners include the National Park Service (NPS), the USDA Forest Service (USFS), and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) as well as multiple state and regional land management agencies. Through its network, NEEF aims to inspire the public to learn about their relationship to the environment and increase their environmental involvement.
Under the supervision of the Program Director of Public Lands Engagement, the NPLD Intern will help support the National Environmental Education Foundation’s signature annual event—National Public Lands Day (NPLD). Primary responsibilities include supporting the NPLD corporate site matching process, managing the NPLD email inbox, fielding customer service calls, outreach to on-the-ground partners around the US, and managing a database of new and returning NPLD event coordinators.
Candidates should have an interest in environmental conservation or a related field, and proven written and oral communications abilities.
This position is for 20 hours per week.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the NPLD corporate site matching process by researching potential event locations for corporate partners, including contacting public land managers to identify event sites.
- Assist with outreach to new and returning NPLD event coordinators, volunteer groups, and nonprofit organizations.
- Compile and send weekly registration reports to NPLD Federal Partners.
- Manage communications received through the NPLD inbox and customer service phone line.
- Assist with NPLD data clean-up and management using Microsoft Excel and data uploads to Salesforce
- Other administrative duties as needed.
Skills, Knowledge, and Expertise
- High school diploma or GED with an interest in conservation, the environment, or related field.
- Outstanding research and writing skills.
- Excellent attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking.
- Professional demeanor, organization, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks on deadline.
- Mastery with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Team player with open and candid communication style; willing and able to appropriately challenge thinking and actions.
- Ability to lift at least 25lbs.
Salary: The internship is 20 hours per week andpays $16.10/hour. This is a four-month internship.
To apply: https://www.neefusa.org/about-neef/careers. NEEF’s office is based in Washington, DC, but our team is currently teleworking due to the pandemic. Local applicants are preferred.
At NEEF, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve.
NEEF is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. NEEF is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment.