National Policy Associate
Washington, DC, United States
Type of Job
$60,000 to $65,000
Aug 28, 2023
About the job
National Policy Associate
Azul is a Latinx-led and serving environmental justice organization focused on ocean stewardship. We are nimble and extremely mighty. Founded in 2011, Azul has been instrumental in the CA plastic bag ban, shark fin ban, and in expanding access to the state’s coasts. Our work is rooted and guided by equity, social justice, and
About the Position
We are a fast-growing non-profit organization and we are looking for a full-time National Policy Associate, who will work closely with the Executive Director / Founder and report to the Senior Conservation Manager. The National Policy Associate will work with leadership to create, draft, develop, and advocate for policy solutions that support the achievement of Azul’s conservation goals. With the goal of deepening impact, the National Policy Associate will represent Azul with decision makers and also in coalitions to evangelize and amplify Azul’s mission on the national stage. This position is located in Washington D.C. (with access to a co-working space).
● Identify emerging issues and opportunities to advance marine conservation at the National level.
● Conduct legislative and policy research.
● Together with the Executive Director and Senior Conservation Manager, plan and execute advocacy campaigns to support marine conservation and environmental justice policies.
● Write and produce position letters, public comments, project plans, research briefs, resources, toolkits, and other assets for campaigns.
● Work closely with the Communications team to produce outreach and education materials.
● Serve as the Azul main point of contact in Washington D.C. on marine conservation policy issues with external interests, coalitions, and decision makers.
● Prepare and place news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and other editorial products.
Ideal Candidate Profile
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position, lending their own flair to the project. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
● 2 years of organizing, campaign, legislative, or advocacy experience (ideally DC based experience).
● Strong organizational and project management skills essential.
● Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
● Comfort with public speaking.
● Ability to tailor messaging and advocacy approach to relevant stakeholders.
● Working knowledge of the federal policy-making process.
● Ability to work independently and to collaborate as part of a team; and to be entrepreneurial and self-directed.
● Passionate about environmental and social justice.
● Strong interest in marine conservation.
● Fluency in Spanish language (written and spoken).
● Existing relationships with policymaker’s staff and stakeholders with an interest in conservation policy.
● Deep community connections in the Washington D.C. area.
Salary and Benefits
Multiplier provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary ($60,000 to $65,000, depending on experience), plus excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
How to Apply
The deadline to apply is Monday, September 11, 2023. Please submit your resume and answer the application questions to explain why you are interested and qualified for the National Policy Associate role.
Azul is a project of Multiplier (www.multiplier.org), a nationally recognized nonprofit that incubates and accelerates program capacity for local, regional, national and global initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world. Azul staff, including the National Policy Associate, are employees of Multiplier.
Multiplier and Azul celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Azul are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Azul prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public
assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.