Mid-Level Giving Officer
San Francisco, CA
Type of Job
$84,800 - $94,200
Jan 26, 2021
About the job
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals, and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, Miami, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice is searching for an experienced Mid-Level Giving Officer to join us. As a key member of the Outreach and Membership Services team, the Mid-level Giving Officer cultivates and stewards relationships with individuals, couples, and families who partner financially with Earthjustice. This position will manage a large portfolio of leadership giving donors, called Justice Partners.
Justice Partners, donors who give $1,000 - $35,000 annually to Earthjustice, are passionate and engaged supporters of Earthjustice’s mission. This position will coordinate outreach by phone and email to donors within their portfolio. Once it is considered safe for in-person events and meetings to resume, some travel may be required to attend Justice Partners events and other engagement opportunities, as well as meetings and training.
The Mid-level Giving Officer builds constructive and effective relationships within the development team and across the organization and contributes to the overall positive working environment. This position reports to the Justice Partners Manager.
The successful candidate will be housed in our San Francisco office, though will work remotely while offices are closed due to COVID-19.
Donor Stewardship and Engagement (75%)
- Manages a portfolio of 500-600 mid-level donors
- Implements a personalized outreach plan that shows appreciation, recognition, and engagement of donors
- Builds relationships with donors over the phone, by email, through ongoing written contact, and other engagement opportunities
- Actively learns about Earthjustice’s programs and casework and communicates this work to donors
- Effectively communicates Earthjustice’s mission, theory of change, and priorities to donors
- Other duties, as assigned
Analysis and Data Management (15%)
- Tracks all call notes and responses, contact attempts, communications preferences, and interests in donor database
- Attends trainings and actively learns databases, systems, and other technology used by the Development department and Earthjustice to ensure effective collaboration, communication, and efficiency
- Participates in regularly scheduled discussions about donor moves into and out of portfolio
- Remains apprised of trends in philanthropy
- Promotes team cohesion and a positive workplace culture by taking part in team, department, office, and organization wide meetings, trainings, skills sharing, and events
- Collaborates with Development Operations Team and Justice Partners Manager on donor data, data analysis, metrics, and portfolio recommendations
- Works in partnership with prospect development and gift officers from other teams within the department on donor relationships and moves management; coordinates and executes donor introductions to other officers, etc.
Furthering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and contributing to an overall positive working environment and at Earthjustice (ongoing)
- Proactively pursue and use internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations
- Participates in internal committees and working groups to further institutional priorities and build an inclusive and equitable work environment that encourages and celebrates differences
- Ensures the incorporation of inclusive practices in all areas of Justice Partners fundraising and stewardship efforts
- 5-7 years of direct experience in nonprofit fundraising and/or membership programs with a focus on relationship building with donors via phone, email, and/or in-person
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and experience with BBEC or other donor databases
- Experience using effective interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy, and tact to build strong relationships with donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff
- Ability to skillfully organize, prioritize, and manage a robust portfolio and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience understanding, synthesizing, and communicating complex information in a clear and compelling manner
- Well-developed written and oral communication
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement fundraising initiatives including personalized cultivation and stewardship strategies
- Ability to accurately assess situations with informal or incomplete information and make good decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment; maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge of current trends in charitable giving
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations
- Expressed commitment to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience
- Sense of humor is desired
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is based on location and experience.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA is: $84,800 - $94,200
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite:
- One or two page cover letter.
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=ovZvefwX&s=GreenLatinos
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.