Type of Job
Jun 2, 2021
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, etc. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The organization's programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring habitat and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
The National Wildlife Federation is now growing our ecommerce and catalog business and is seeking a Merchandise Buyer to bring relevant, on-trend, nature and wildlife-inspired products to market. This position will be based at the Federation’s Reston, Virginia headquarters.
Please Note: Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until we make return to work decisions.
In this role you will:
- Execute “bottoms up” planning by category, assortment and buy plans to achieve financial plans that will meet/exceed sales & margin goals. Closely partner with the general manager to proactively identify opportunities & risks in the business.
- Build strong product assortment with suppliers, negotiate pricing and manage inventory in assigned categories.
- Analyze business and sales trends utilizing existing and new selling reports and provide recommendations for business improvements and efficiencies.
- Consistently monitor sales to maintain inventory position, assure optimum turns, maximize promotional and marketing strategies, and determine the life cycle of each item.
- Participate in the alignment of product photography, copy strategies and marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent retail experience
- Minimum five years of experience in buying and ecommerce product development.
- Comprehensive understanding of retail math.
Important Success Factors:
- A leader who can thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and work independently as well as collaboratively with all levels of the organization.
- Strong negotiator and communicator.
- Customer-centric mindset
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Enthusiasm for conservation issues.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The salary for this position is $90,000 annually.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.