Type of Job
$50,000-$60,000 yr DOE
Apr 22, 2022
About the job
Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility
Job Announcement: Membership Manager
Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) seeks a motivated Membership Manager to grow and steward our membership of health professional donors and volunteers across the state.
Guided by the values and expertise of healthcare and public health, Oregon PSR works to protect human life from the gravest threats to health and survival by striving to protect our climate, end the nuclear threat, promote peace, and advance justice. Oregon PSR is committed to creating a culture of equity and justice in our organization and in the world. To learn more, visit oregonpsr.org.
Position Summary: The Membership Manager will work closely with the staff and board to support and grow our membership of health professional donors and volunteers. This is a new position intended to grow the capacity and effectiveness of the organization to fulfill its mission by increasing its membership of health professional donors and volunteers across Oregon.
Supervision: The Membership Manager will report to the Executive Director and work as part of a collaborative team with other staff and volunteers.
Location: The position is based in Oregon, and most work will be remote until public health guidance warrants resuming in-person work. Then it will entail occasional travel, mostly in Oregon and SW Washington for outreach events, presentations and fundraisers. Ability to work from a shared Portland office is preferred, but other locations in Oregon may be accommodated.
Hours: Primarily weekdays with some weekend and evening work required.
Compensation: This is a full time, 40-hour a week, non-exempt position with excellent benefits including one month paid vacation, health, dental, vision, complementary and alternative healthcare, sick time, and retirement match. Salary range: $50,00-60,000 depending on experience.
- Develop and execute a plan to sustain and grow the organization’s base of health professional members, including recruiting new major donors, monthly donors, and legacy donors
- Engage current donors to deepen their relationship with the organization
- Connect members with opportunities to volunteer with the organization
- Organize fundraising and volunteer events that attract new members and strengthen current members’ involvement
- Reach out to underrepresented health professional populations including those who identify as Black, Indigenous and people of color; students and early career; and rural/outside Portland metro area health professionals to diversify and strengthen our statewide membership
- Represent Oregon PSR at events, including outreach activities, fundraisers, and presentations
- Cultivate relationships and strategic partnerships with health clinics and hospitals, health professional societies, and universities.
- Participate in organization-wide Justice, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (JEDI) efforts and incorporate JEDI values into membership recruitment and stewardship
- Foster an organizational culture of philanthropy by training and engaging other staff, board, and advisory board members to support donor cultivation
- Manage donor solicitations by mail, email, and social media
- Support the Executive Director in researching and developing foundation and institutional funding sources for the organization
- A minimum of two years experience in nonprofit fundraising or membership development
- Event planning and project management experience
- A commitment to organizing through a social and racial justice lens
- Ability to articulate the importance of a health voice for justice-based campaigns
- Enthusiasm for the organization’s mission and program areas
- Strong interpersonal, written communication, and public speaking skills
- Comfort with asking for financial support from individuals
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- A high level of organization and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Background in health field
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language besides English
- Track record of successful major donor fundraising
*A note to potential candidates: Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary, and Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s welcome. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
Application Instructions: Send a résumé and cover letter as a single PDF document to email@example.com with the subject line “Membership Manager Position” to apply. Do not include references with your application materials, but know that references may be requested after interviews. Review of applications begins May 9th. The position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
Oregon PSR is committed to justice, diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color, all genders, sexualities, ethnicities, and abilities to apply. We especially welcome applicants from communities impacted by injustice to apply for this position.