Media Relations and Content Manager
Type of Job
$70,000 to $80,000
Jun 1, 2021
About the job
Media Relations and Content Manager
Feed the Truth
About Feed the Truth
Feed the Truth is a new nonprofit organization that stands with a growing global movement with an ambitious goal: to create a healthier, more just society by challenging the global food industry’s exploitation of our health, environment, and democracy. The organization was seeded by Daniel Lubetzky—a philanthropist and entrepreneur best known for creating the snack company KIND—with the goal that Feed the Truth would “hold all of us in the food community accountable for what we say and claim” and counteract the food industry’s undue influence in shaping policy and science. As we launch Feed the Truth’s work, we are building a talented team that can help the organization become a driving force for change.
Feed the Truth is accepting applications for a Media Relations and Content Manager to lead efforts to build the visibility of our campaigns and organization. As the Media Relations and Content Manager, you will build and maintain relationships with reporters, develop creative media and visibility opportunities, and produce compelling narratives and messaging. You will work in close collaboration with our partners and allies to expose and change how the food industry’s activities harm our health, degrade our planet, hurt our democracy and exacerbate inequities. You will report to our Director of Communications, act as a key member of our communications team, and collaborate closely with our program and research team.
We are looking for a savvy communicator and a strong writer, with a proven track record of building reporter relationships, collaborating with partners and allies, and garnering media attention. If you are passionate about food justice and are ready to use your writing and media skills on one of the most critical issues of our time, this job could be for you!
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead media outreach for Feed the Truth and efforts to position Feed the Truth as a go-to resource for media on issues related to the food industry and their outsized power and influence;
- Develop compelling messaging and content such as blogs, press releases, and pitch memos with strong attention to organizational messaging and framing;
- Engage and build relationships with reporters in traditional and non-traditional outlets;
- Build and maintain press lists and track press coverage;
- Draft media materials including press releases, statements, media advisories and op-eds;
- Support food justice partners, researchers, and allies through media collaboration, content creation, training and capacity building;
- Proactively monitor for opportunities to garner media and visibility for Feed the Truth and our partners and allies, and coordinate rapid response;
- Organize and support earned media events such as shareholder actions and press conferences;
- Field inquiries from reporters;
- Manage our media consultants.
Required skills, experience and attributes:
- You have a minimum of 7 years of work experience, with at least 3 years of direct media and communications experience;
- You have experience building and maintaining reporter relationships;
- You understand what makes a great story and have a proven track record of successfully pitching and placing stories;
- You are an exceptional writer with experience drafting communications materials, such as media pitches, press releases and advisories, op eds, and blogs;
- You are a capable, articulate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills;
- You have a commitment to working for a just and better world;
- You have a background and commitment to working with people from a variety of geographies and backgrounds.
Preferred qualifications and attributes:
- Prior experience in a nonprofit or social change organization is highly preferred.
- Excitement to engage on issues at the intersection of food and corporate power, equity, health, climate, and democracy.
- Proficiency in a second language (Spanish in particular) is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively under deadline.
- Awareness of gender and racial dynamics in collaboration.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or relevant field.
Details: We have a strong preference for candidates based in Washington, D.C. or Portland, OR. We will consider candidates in other U.S. locations if they can easily travel to D.C. and Portland once it’s safe to resume travel. Please note: During the COVID-19 pandemic all staff are working remotely.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for this position is $70,000 to $80,000 per year and the salary offered will be dependent on market factors and the candidate’s professional experience and capabilities.
Feed the Truth is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and short-term and long-term disability insurance. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Communications.
To apply: Please visit https://careers.feedthetruth.org/ and submit your application, including a cover letter which speaks to your interest in our mission. Please also let us know where you heard about the job. The application deadline is Monday, June 28th. We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. Please apply as soon as possible.
Feed the Truth encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, parental status, or veteran status.