Type of Job
$33,000 - 48,000 annually
Apr 13, 2021
About the job
The High Mountain Institute is seeking a math teacher, a full-time position in the HMI Semester. Responsibilities include teaching three sections of math (Algebra II, Precalculus, and/or AP Calculus), leading wilderness expeditions, and participating in residential life duties.
About the High Mountain Institute Semester: HMI joins the best of a traditional independent school environment with top-class outdoor education opportunities. HMI seeks to connect our students to the natural world and teach them essential leadership and communication skills through participation in a rigorous academic program, extended wilderness trips, and an intentional community. For more information, please visit www.hminet.org.
- Teach 3-4 sections of math each semester
- Co-lead wilderness expeditions in the Rocky Mountains and canyons of southern Utah (7 weeks per year)
- Participate in weekly residential responsibilities
- Mentor a math apprentice each semester
- Advise 4-6 students per semester
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 4-9% retirement benefits match after 1 year
- Summer vacation, early June to early August
- Wilderness leadership training opportunities
- Annual professional development opportunities
- Competitive salary, $33,000-48,000 dependent on experience
Qualifications: BA or higher, willingness to acquire and maintain current WFR & CPR certifications, prior math teaching experience, prior experience in wilderness settings, fluency with and ability to promote and embody principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion, enthusiasm for working with teenagers in a residential setting, criminal and driving background check required.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Em Ducharme, Administrative Coordinator & Registrar for the HMI Semester, at email@example.com and fill out the HMI Prospective Employment Form online by April 9. Your application will not be complete without all three of these items. We will begin our initial review of applications immediately.
Correspondence via e-mail is preferred.
HMI’s Diversity Statement: The High Mountain Institute is an equal opportunity employer that strives for diversity by honoring the differences of each member of the community. We seek to build a community (of trustees, faculty, staff, and students) that represents ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic diversity and that brings a diversity of experience, background, talent, and perspective.