Type of Job
Aug 22, 2022
About the job
MADRE is an international women's human rights organization and feminist fund that partners with
community-based women's groups in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and
the Middle East who face war and disaster. MADRE works towards a world in which all people enjoy the
fullest range of individual and collective human rights; resources are shared equitably and sustainably;
women participate effectively in all aspects of society, and people have a meaningful say in decisions
that affect their lives.
MADRE offers a comprehensive model of support to our grassroots partners using three interconnected
strategies—grantmaking, organizational strengthening, and legal advocacy—to meet urgent needs and
create opportunities for women and girls in marginalized communities to assert their agency and voice.
Using these strategies, MADRE provides long-term and flexible financial and direct service support to
community-based women’s and girls’ groups that have been historically marginalized. Many of them are
largely under the radar of traditional philanthropy and/or where conflict or disaster have rendered them
difficult to fund and challenging to reach. We work at the intersection of three program areas—Ending
Gender Violence, Advancing Climate Justice, and Building a Just Peace—and across five priority
communities who are disproportionately marginalized: young women and girls, Indigenous women,
Afro-descendant women, LGBTIQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
The first grant maker to hundreds of organizations, in MADRE’s nearly 40-year history, we have disbursed
over $58 million in grants and in-kind support to organizations across the globe.
MADRE marketing is driven by raising the visibility of our brand and theory of change. When one thinks
about how to achieve a just world and uphold human rights, we want them to think of MADRE and our
grassroots partners' work. This role helps us achieve this aim through raising our external visibility by
telling the MADRE story and making sure it is heard by the right audiences.
Reporting to the associate director of communications and marketing, the marketing manager leads and
implements MADRE’s marketing programming.
Scope of Work under this Position:
This role is responsible for meeting key marketing performance indicators (KPIs) that year-over-year
signify a growing and engaged MADRE audience. Essential to this role is deeply understanding our
audiences, how to reach them, and what they want to hear from us. This understanding will drive
marketing programming and guide recommendations to leadership to influence the strategy and vision
of the department.
Day-to-day, this looks like:
• Assessing the marketing program's effectiveness by reporting on and making recommendations
from marketing analytics
• Creating cohesion across the marketing program; ensuring audience engagement and
advertising are meeting KPIs
• Creating and assessing cohesive campaigns across the website, social, email marketing, speaking
engagements, events, and traditional media informed by working closely with the content
manager on messaging
• Working closely with content manager and visuals coordinator to assess visuals
Supervising and Implementation
This role will supervise essential marketing positions, the digital content strategist and marketing
associate, providing mentorship and guidance–while also implementing core marketing functions.
• Supervise the digital content strategist; work as a thought partner to guide their work across
social media platforms, provide long-term strategies to meet social media KPIs and day-to-day
guidance as needed
• Supervise the marketing associate; closely direct the administrative work they accomplish across
the communications and marketing team
• Guide and implement marketing reporting across platforms; present reporting to the associate
director, senior director, and outside departments/audiences as necessary
• Manage the email marketing program; coordinate all the moving parts of email drops across the
team and organization, create and maintain automated series, and drive efficiency through
• Manage the website program to ensure the site runs smoothly and SEO goals are being met;
coordinate front-end maintenance by the marketing associate and heavier back-end
maintenance and changes with the vendor.
• Manage the advertising program; assess and make recommendations to influence key indicators
• Administer MADRE's Google AdWords and Analytics accounts
• Drive the MADRE Champions program; closely coordinate with the digital content strategist
• Collaborate with associate director and senior director to promote MADRE via events, speaking
engagements, and cause marketing partnerships
• Minimum 5+ years' relevant experience and demonstrated ability to perform at the supervising
• Excellent spoken and written communications
• Excellent understanding of marketing data and systems, Salesforce and Pardot experience
• Strong understanding of social media strategies and execution
• Experience owning and implementing marketing campaigns and functions, including advertising,
website, and marketing automation
• Keen attention to detail
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Understanding of social justice spaces and a passion for human rights
● Commitment to a culture of growth and learning in work and among peers
• Proven peer management and supervisory skills
• Comfort with working in a flexible in-person and remote environment
Position Location: While this job may be remote anywhere inside the United States, it will require
occasional in-person meetings at MADRE’s headquarters in New York City. Must be able to provide proof
of authorization to work in the United States.
• Salary: $80,000
• Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package offered that is robust, inclusive, and progressive.
Application Process: To apply, please send a cover letter, CV/Resume, and two work samples of your
choice to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until October 1, 2022. Email Subject
Line: Marketing Manager.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and is committed to fostering, cultivating, and
preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ people, veterans and women are all especially encouraged to
apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless
they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. MADRE is
committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best
candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field
of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage applications, even if every one of the qualifications
described are not met.