Marketing Director, Garden for Wildlife
Type of Job
$110,000 - $120,000
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The National Wildlife Federation believes that in order to save wildlife and ourselves, we need to ensure that all Americans have access to clean air and water, safe communities, easy and equitable access to nature, and protection from the ravages of climate change. These basic needs, equally necessary and urgent for all people, are foundational to bringing the conservation movement and ethos into the 21st century.
One of the National Wildlife Federation’s signature conservation programs is Garden for Wildlife™. For more than 45 years, this program has been inspiring people to plant on behalf of wildlife where the live, work, play, learn and worship.
To advance our mission, we are seeking a full-time Marketing Director for Garden for Wildlife™ to join our staff, working out of our Reston, VA, office with telework options. (Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until we make return to work decisions). In this role you will lead the new Garden for Wildlife™ Enterprise (GFWE) digital marketing strategy and campaigns to drive product sales and community growth to expand access to native plants and trees, scale the conservation impact, and create an engaged and diverse community of wildlife gardeners – effectively revolutionizing the way all people plant to benefit wildlife and communities.
The GFWE is an independent business unit within the Innovation and Growth division and this position reports directly to the Head of Garden for Wildlife/AVP and is a team player in the Garden for Wildlife senior team that includes the directors of GFWE Operations and Growth, Tech Product Owner, and Finance. You will lead the strategy and execution of all B2C marketing and communication efforts, including brand experience, messaging, and identity, as well as direct product sales and marketing campaigns, in order to meet the revenue and impact goals of the business.
This role assures:
1) Garden for Wildlife™ brand consistency through every consumer touchpoint
2) Optimized customer experience and community engagement
3) Product visibility and sales primarily through digital marketing
You will ultimately grow revenue and participation via a platform that seamlessly engages environmentally minded gardeners through personalized experience that connects: DIY solutions, science-based data, and mapping for impact with a passionate interactive community.
In this role you will:
• Oversee marketing and communication strategies, tactics and messaging maximizing purchasing performance to achieve sales targets and revenue goals. This includes the development and execution of digital, SEO, and paid social advertising programs for the business.
• Effectively manage the marketing budget and spend to maximize efficiencies and optimize campaign performance.
• Recruit and manage a diverse and dynamic team that will drive strategy, growth and impact. Direct reports will include GFWE Digital Media Manager, Community Manager, and close collaboration with the GFWE Web content coordinator and Tech Product owner.
• Propel an equity and justice culture across all enterprise departments, ensuring this culture is imbedded into hiring and business practices, vendor relationships, corporate partnerships and product offerings, as well as inclusivity and diversity in advertising, content development and storytelling.
• Manage media agency, brand, and creative consultants to ensure effectiveness of paid campaigns and the brand integrity and quality deliverables.
• Ensure all customer touchpoints reinforce an equitable and inclusive brand experience and represents a diversity of customers.
• Successfully collaborate with internal National Wildlife Federation marketing membership digital teams, to connect the GFWE with other Garden for Wildlife™ related programs or campaigns and to leverage appropriate NWF house channels to drive awareness of brand and purchase of product offerings
• Minimum seven years of national consumer marketing leadership experience in e-commerce digital platforms.
• Demonstrable experience in designing and implementing successful digital marketing campaigns and revenue growth.
• Strong understanding of how all current digital marketing channels function.
• Demonstrated success in brand campaigns to growing and building new initiatives or businesses.
• Solid knowledge of online marketing tools and best practices.
• Knowledge of market drivers for the millennial audience and gardening industry
• MBA in Marketing
Important Success Factors:
• A leader who can thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and work independently as well as collaboratively with all levels of the organization.
• Strong negotiator, decision-maker, and communicator.
• Self-motivated, detail oriented, and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Growth, innovation and customer-first mindset
• Enthusiasm for conservation issues.
• Self-Awareness and Learning - Demonstrates awareness of multiple group identities and their attendant dynamics and consistently bring a high level of self-awareness, empathy, and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions and commit to build our awareness through continued learning.
• Authentic Relationships and Partnerships – Proactively builds and sustains robust, authentic, productive working relationships with colleagues and community partners across race and other group identities
• Direct Communication - Communicates in ways that honor each person’s inherent dignity and agency, including our own, and lead with respect and compassion.
• Supervision and Power sharing – Brings an awareness of culture and difference into our supervisory relationships and work to authentically share power to bring out the best in others.
• Innovation - Seeks solutions by cultivating empathy, taking risks, trying new approaches, learning from mistakes, learning from each other, and continually improving our efforts. We are courageous and proactive about developing solutions that are rooted in principles of equity and justice.
• Equity Analysis and Action - Clearly and consistently articulates a sophisticated understanding of equity across social groups and structural racism, and the centrality of this analysis to the work we do and how we operate at NWF. We integrate that knowledge into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The salary range for this position is currently $110,000 - $120,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume HERE.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.