Marine Science Educator (part-time)
Juno Beach, Florida
Type of Job
Jan 10, 2023
About the job
Division / Title
Education / Marine Science Educator (Part-time, contract)
Education / STEM Education Manager
Directly responsible for the daily facilitation of educational programming at Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) including virtual, campus and off-campus programs. Responsible for designing, developing and implementing training sessions for all volunteer-led education programming as part of the Volunteer Development program. Monitors accuracy, enthusiasm and overall quality of daily virtual, campus and off-campus programs. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is a contracted position scheduled to end on September 30th, 2023. Contract extension may be possible but is not guaranteed.
Hours: Up to 24 hours/week; can include after-hours and weekends as needed
Core Responsibilities: Includes, but not limited to the following:
- Facilitate daily afterschool educational programs in partnership with Prime Time Palm Beach County and the Children’s Services Council of Palm Beach County
- Facilitate daily campus education programs on and off LMC campus, as well as virtually
- Develop, schedule and facilitate training sessions for volunteer docents to independently lead educational programs at LMC
- Daily maintenance and oversight of LMC’s community science programs, including community check-out kits
- Assist with the training of seasonal Education Interns in spring, summer and fall semesters
- Provide support to education staff to track program supply inventory & program metrics
- Facilitate after-hours and weekend programming including private event programs and birthday parties, as needed
- Creation of educational digital resources for LMC website and blog
- Work with Education team to successfully facilitate campus events and related activities
- Assist education team with departmental duties, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Self-motivated; passionate about ocean health and the importance of scientific communication
- Demonstrated understanding of marine science, current global issues affecting ocean health, as well as the ability to deliver age-appropriate education to a diverse audience
- Possess a minimum of a high school diploma or GED equivalent as well as possess a valid driver’s license. Completion of a bachelor’s degree in Marine Biology, Education or related discipline preferred, but not required for consideration.
- Experience with public engagement in addition to enthusiasm for sharing ocean education with others is essential.
- Must thrive in a highly-visible, learner-facing environment, including virtual, indoor and outdoor spaces and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Founded in 1983, Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a leading cultural attraction in South Florida that provides open access to all guests. Today the Center is a global leader in the research, rehabilitation, and protection of sea turtles, serving our broader mission to promote ocean ecosystem conservation. Annually we reach 900,000 guests with our transformational education programs and partner with nearly 100 organizations across six continents and 16 countries in ocean conservation. In early 2022, we opened a new 27,500 square-foot campus that greatly expands our exhibition, education, and convening space and doubles our medical facilities.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Successful applicants must be comfortable in a highly dynamic environment in an active and busy office or outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This position may involve working outdoors in Florida, often in hot and humid conditions, and at events that extend into evening and weekend hours. Must be willing and able to travel for offsite programming and possess a valid driver’s license.
This is a part-time position. The successful incumbent may be required to perform tasks beyond the scope of this job description as requested by the supervisor. This recruitment may be used to select candidates for additional open positions. It is our policy that all team members, including newly hired, transferred, and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory 3 month period on the job. After satisfactory completion of introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated annually.
Interested applicants may submit their resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com