Managing Editor and Senior Researcher
Type of Job
$65K to $75K per year
Feb 9, 2022
About the job
True North Research is a research group focused on exposing the special interests that distort public policy and harm our democracy, our economy, and our planet. It is led by Lisa Graves, who previously served as a senior advisor in all three branches of the federal government. She launched the award-winning http://ALECexposed.org investigation, and has spearheaded breakthrough research into Charles Koch’s networks, and more.
True North Research is seeking applicants for a dual role as Managing Editor and Senior Researcher.
Start date: ASAP
Salary range: $65K to $75K per year
Location: This position is fully remote.
Deadline: Friday, February 21, 2022, 6 PM Eastern time (Applications will still be considered on a rolling basis after this deadline)
● Advanced degree in social science, law, humanities, or other related field
● Expertise in developing, conducting, and writing about research related to democracy and socioeconomic, racial, and gender equity
● Demonstrated success managing multiple simultaneous projects and supervising others
● Deep knowledge of front groups and special interest influence on US democracy
● Experience crafting social media content and working with Substack and Wordpress
● Demonstrated commitment to social justice
● Proven ability to write accurate and compelling stories, based on original research, quickly
● Experience working collaboratively and effectively with others on joint projects
● Develop original research ideas and engage in research, writing, and publishing of work investigating corporate front groups and special interest groups trying to distort our democracy
● As Managing Editor, initiate, manage the drafting of, and copy edit TNR’s reports, Substack posts, op-eds, etc.
● Develop a new system for managing our archive of research and clips on the themes we track
● Administer team-wide meetings and represent TNR in select meetings with allies, and also cultivate working relationships, coalitions, and partnerships with relevant ally organizations and individuals
● Develop and coordinate postings across social media platforms to maximize the impact of TNR’s work
● Hire, train, and supervise new research fellows, and in coordination with other senior researcher staff delegate research projects to fellows
● As a senior researcher, contribute to the overall research strategy for the full TNR team
To apply, please submit a resume and short writing sample by February 23 via our Google Form which you can find here. Please direct any questions to Evan Vorpahl at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in touch by no later than February 29 on the status of your application.
About True North Research
We support equal opportunity and equity in our society. True North Research opposes discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We strongly encourage people who have a deep commitment to equity and justice and who have triumphed over individual or societal obstacles or biases to apply.