Managing Director, Corporate Engagement
Type of Job
Jan 14, 2022
About the job
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Founded in 1951, The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground and transformational solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, and providing food and water sustainably. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Nature Conservancy understands the critical role of the private sector in solving the dual crises of climate change and biodiversity loss. The organization has built an effective approach to corporate sustainability, helping companies to integrate the planet into decision making – to reduce their direct environmental impacts and to invest in Nature-Based Solutions. Our partnerships with diverse organizations such as Syngenta, Dow, JPMorgan Chase and Starbucks help companies increase sustainability outcomes. Our engagement with multi-stakeholder groups creates new standards and accelerates private sector action.
The Managing Director, Corporate Engagement is the senior executive responsible for enlisting and unlocking corporate talent and treasure in support of TNC’s organizational priorities. The Managing Director reports to the Global Head, Impact Finance & Markets and provides leadership, management, coordination with other business units, and vision necessary to ensure that The Nature Conservancy has optimal strategies to effectively influence corporate practices to ensure the accomplishment of TNC’s conservation results.
The Managing Director, Corporate Engagement supports TNC’s overall corporate engagement programs focused on harnessing the power of the private sector in service of conservation. They lead a skilled team working in close collaboration with companies in the food, agriculture, consumer, technology and financial services industries. Across the Conservancy’s entire business, there are over 500 corporate engagements. The Managing Director serves as the strategic leader for the team and critical external presence for our corporate engagement work. They will position TNC as a leading partner for major corporations and business leaders looking to implement and grow meaningful sustainability programs.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
• Senior executive leader for corporate relationships.
• Leads the Corporate Engagement Team and orchestrates the work of numerous TNC field-based offices in corporate engagement efforts.
• Leads the development and management of private-sector partnerships; develops strategies to influence the practices of business and commerce leaders.
• Represents TNC in the corporate sustainability community, advocating for the highest impact interventions achievable.
• Negotiates complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
• Delivers effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to employee groups, managers at all levels, board members, and outside organizations.
• Creates and communicates a compelling vision to enhance and facilitate TNC employee talent mobility.
• Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 7 years of senior level experience in the corporate sustainability, conservation arena, non-profit sector, advocacy, or related for-profit area.
• Demonstrated experience producing results.
• Experience leading and managing a large multi-disciplinary team, including managing senior level leaders.
• Experience conceiving, planning and implementing strategic initiatives.
• Experience evaluating and/or negotiating complex, high-profile or sensitive agreements.
• Experience communicating with and presenting to diverse audiences including donors, board members, employees, outside partners, or equivalent.
• Experience with budget management.
• Written and verbal fluency in English.
• At least 10 years of senior level experience in corporate sustainability.
• High energy, forward thinking, creative individual with high ethical standards.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best
advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of all genders with diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. Recruiting and mentoring staff to
create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes,
national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status or other status protected by law.
• Outstanding leadership and visionary qualities and proven ability to work effectively with and through others in a distributed and geographically dispersed organization.
• A proven track record with a global organization. Experience gained both in and outside the U.S. preferred.
• Experience in fundraising, including cultivation of major donors.
• Recognized as a global leader in field of expertise by peers, government and business leaders.
• Private-sector finance experience with a proven ability to generate highly leveraged outcomes.
• Ability to work effectively and pragmatically under pressure within a variety of simultaneous competing initiatives and issues.
• Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply to Job 50877 at www.nature.org/careers or apply directly HERE. Submit required cover letter and resume separately using the upload buttons.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration. If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
All TNC staff based in the U.S. or a U.S. Territory are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of receiving one of the vaccines approved in the U.S. (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) shall be condition of employment and must be provided prior to starting work. TNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and reasonable accommodations for candidates who cannot be vaccinated due to a valid medical or religious reason or claim an exemption under applicable state law will be considered.
This description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for this job.