Managing Director, Advancement
Type of Job
Dec 12, 2022
About the job
- Status: Full Time Exempt, Salaried
- Salary: $140,000 – $150,000, paid monthly
- Working Conditions: Full-Time Remote, 35hrs/week, Occasional Domestic Travel, Technical Setup Provided (Laptop, Monitor, Accessories)
- Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Paid Time Off, Matching IRA Contributions, Professional Development Assistance
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Member of the Executive Management Team. Currently includes Executive Director, Managing Director of Programs, and Managing Director of Operations.
- Supervises: Currently 5 Staff, likely more as we grow, and occasionally contractors. Currently includes: Associate Director of Development, Associate Director of Communications, Development Manager, Senior Communications Associate of Digital Strategy, and Senior Communications Associate of Storytelling
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization on a mission to equitably decarbonize buildings in this decade to improve the livability of our communities. Our partnerships with local communities, government leaders, and businesses provide unique insights into how to make this vision a reality. IMT is seeking a Managing Director of Advancement to oversee all IMT brand positioning, including fundraising and communications strategy. This role is key to ensuring that IMT remains at the forefront of market-based solutions to today’s climate and energy challenges, and offers room for both innovation and growth. You will be part of the Executive Management team and guide the staff in executing an ambitious organizational strategy. You will ensure that IMT is building a support network, brand, and reputation consistent with our vision, mission, and guiding principles. You will set expectations and milestones for IMT positioning and fundraising and monitor progress against our goals.
This position reports to the Executive Director, and is part of IMT’s Executive Management Team.
Development, Fundraising, and Reporting (40%)
- Oversee IMT’s fundraising plans in alignment with IMT’s BuildUp2030 strategy and program goals. Work with the Managing Director of Programs to establish funding targets and plans for each priority program area.
- Provide IMT’s Executive Director and Senior Leadership with support and guidance to engage new corporate, government, and philanthropic partners by defining strategy, articulating the business case, and providing targeted collateral.
- With the development team (current team of 2), craft strategy to deepen and expand partnerships with corporations, foundations, government and other delivery agents that will advance IMT’s mission. Support the Executive Director and Leadership Team in the execution of that strategy.
- Leverage existing contacts to bring new partnerships to IMT.
- Develop and track annual revenue projections. Lead the annual review and revision of the development and communications sections of the IMT strategic & operational plan.
- Lead fundraising communications with IMT’s board of directors, staffing relevant committees and leading board engagement on IMT fundraising strategy.
Strategic Communications and Brand Positioning (40%)
- With the senior management team, support the ongoing development of IMT’s brand and positioning as a leader, partner, and convener on the path to widespread high-performing buildings – those that are low pollution, healthy, resilient to extreme weather, and with business practices that support local communities.
- With the communications team (current team of 3), set a brand and communications strategy for achieving IMT’s annual strategic goals, including team leadership of organizational brand standards, media outreach, and growth of IMT’s digital communications strategy.
- Coach and deploy staff, the executive director, and the board of directors to represent IMT publicly, including via media engagement, public speaking opportunities, and fundraising, to bolster IMT positioning and advance the organization’s visibility and reputation.
- Support and lead the integration of communications work into the program and development strategies.
Staff Management and Execution (20%)
- Oversee communications and development staff (current team of 5), while directly supervising the associate director of communications and associate director of development.
- Work with our strategic services and culture leads to ensure professional development opportunities are ample and encouraged, and that they align both with staff ambitions and the organization’s strategy.
- Coach and mentor staff to provide the guidance they need to build IMT content fluency and provide excellent brand awareness.
- Be accountable for the team’s timely work plan deliverables by setting the priorities and structure for the team’s success.
Qualifications and Skills
- 10+ years of experience in a relevant role to include fundraising and communications
- Degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Commitment to advancing social and environmental justice
- Strong foundation in anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion principles
- Proven experience securing six and seven figure gifts from grant funders or major gift donors
- Familiarity with digital media and strategy to target and increase audience engagement
- Demonstrated experience building, leading, and maintaining an effective senior management team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong ability to create strategic plans that unite multiple campaigns, outputs, and channels toward common goals, including identifying metrics of success
- Demonstrated organizational skills, initiative, attention to detail, and ability to set and meet deadlines
How to Apply
This is a full-time remote position. Occasional domestic travel may be required. The salary range for this position is $140,000-150,000, commensurate with experience. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and one writing sample (blog post, press release, pitch letter, grant proposal, etc.) to email@example.com. Please write “Managing Director – Advancement” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a trusted, non-partisan nonprofit organization that works to ensure that everyone in the U.S. benefits from high-performing buildings in all facets of their lives. IMT bridges the intersection of business, government, and community priorities to spotlight business practices and advance public policy to improve U.S. buildings. We do this by co-creating and deploying public policy and business practices that drive widespread market action toward improving how we collectively build, design, and operate the spaces where people live, work, learn, connect, and play. To learn more about our work, visit www.imt.org/about.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative, and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. IMT is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across our organization. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have fun along the way.
IMT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.