Manager, Web Experiences
Type of Job
The salary range for this position begins at $92,000.
Dec 8, 2021
About the job
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world's most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society's vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division's creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society's strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy Department is an exciting new team within the Communications division at NGS. The department designs and implements a marketing strategy for the Society to deepen engagement with core audiences and plays a key role in supporting a culture of philanthropy at NGS. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
The Manager, Web Experiences will manage website and other digital content channels as needed, ensuring content and campaigns are aligned to communications, fundraising, and programmatic strategies, including producing, editing, and creating web pages. The position is responsible for optimizing experiences across natgeo.org to ensure an optimal user experience and journey for primary audiences. The Manager, Web Experiences works closely with the technology and product teams and other internal stakeholders to ensure functionality, enhancements, and maintenance for web marketing platforms. This role is a new one within the division and will be essential in shaping web campaigns that are aligned to the advancement and fundraising strategy. This position reports to the Senior Director, Digital Engagement.
Create and implement effective website campaigns (55%)
- Ensure compelling online experiences for all visitors to the natgeo.org website and supporting applications.
- Create effective project management tools and timelines to deliver consistently highly effective product on time and on budget.
- Prioritize the user and organizational objectives at all decision points.
- Manage the full life-cycle of assigned sites, from asset-gathering and acceptance to site build-out, promotion, timelines, evergreening, maintenance, and sunsetting.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the natgeo.org web and mobile publishing process and tools and use this to inform production timelines.
- Ensure National Geographic brand standards on all web projects.
- Oversee updating and formatting of web content as needed.
- Track and analyze website traffic trends and use findings to make data-driven decisions about content, campaigns, information architecture, and content discoverability.
- Monitor web traffic, performance and capacity to identify, prevent, and resolve issues.
- Manage and implement SEO strategies for website.
- Develop processes to increase workflow efficiency and general web team productivity.
Strategize and collaborate across teams (45%)
- Partner with the content and technology teams to create dynamic campaigns and actively manage a highly functional site.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to create incredible web experiences that grow traffic and engagement by adopting user experience, information architecture, social media integration, and search engine optimization (SEO) best-practices.
- Develop and assess digital analytics data to promote data-driven decision-making with partner and stakeholder teams.
- Identify and share website best practices and benchmarks across the site and share with key stakeholders.
Requirements and Experience:
- Five+ years of progressive experience planning and overseeing websites.
- Experience identifying core site experiences, target audiences and product opportunities to create compelling site information architecture.
- Strong project management experience.
- Deep understanding of website management including content production, content management systems, content marketing, user and donor journeys, audience insights, and omnichannel alignment.
- Deep familiarity with online marketing practices
- Solid understanding of user experience, usability, website design, html and CSS.
- Successful track record building and maintaining relationships across teams.
- Proven experience in an organization or with an agency serving corporate, non--profit or a combination of both types of clients.
- Either past experience or a strong desire to work on conservation research and education
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, ability to use data and analytics to understand and improve performance.
- Experience supporting fundraising leaders in identifying, cultivating, and stewarding donor experience.
- Familiarity with digital and SEO best practices.
- Passion for digital in general and website best practice and innovation in particular.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, and laser-focused.
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the team and others across a complex organization.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
Hybrid - This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position starts at $92,000.
Bachelor’s degree required. Credentials in web content and management, project management, fundraising a plus.
Beth Kitzinger, Vice President at Chaloner is leading the search. Please apply at www.chaloner.com
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.