Type of Job
Feb 8, 2021
About the job
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager, Transportation, will organize and coordinate work with investors, companies and other key stakeholders focused on promoting strong clean transportation policies and encouraging transportation companies and companies with a significant transportation footprint to make ambitious climate commitments and align lobbying with climate science. The Manager will collaborate closely with various teams across the organization working on corporate climate commitments and policy. The Manager will manage key projects and campaigns related to the transportation sector. This is a full-time salaried position, based out of Ceres’ Boston office, and reporting to the Senior Director, Transportation, with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Senior Manager, State Policy.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Partner in design and implementation of cross-organizational strategy to generate private sector clean transportation commitments working in close coordination with the Senior Director for Transportation, the Director for Corporate Clean Energy Leadership, the Senior Director for Electric Power, and in collaboration with the Policy Network, Company Network, and Investor Network teams.
- Develop Ceres’ cross-organizational emissions-reduction strategy on engaging companies in related sectors, potentially including electric power and oil & gas, ensuring environmental equity is a key consideration.
- Coordinate with Ceres CA 100+ Initiative and Ceres Investor Network to support investors with research, materials drafting, and strategic guidance on engaging with companies in the transportation sector as well as companies with a large transportation footprint in order to drive support for strong policies and reduce emissions. Where appropriate, include key environmental equity considering in materials to investors.
- Track transportation decarbonization policy developments at the state and federal levels, coordinate with external partners and craft advocacy strategies
- Drive strong federal and state clean transportation policy initiatives including through research, writing, advocacy, and constituent outreach and organizing. Embed environmental equity into initiatives where appropriate
- Collaborate with Ceres’ Company Network to support engagement plans with transportation companies that are members of the Ceres Company Network.
- Support Ceres’ Corporate EV Alliance policy advocacy and fleet electrification efforts
- Present Ceres’ strategic and advocacy voice in engagements with external partners and at strategic convenings and events regarding the transportation sector.
- Coordinate, oversee and/or conduct research on transportation sector decarbonization, with a particular focus on the business case, opportunities, environmental equity, and public policy context for investors and companies.
- Research, write, and edit communications materials including contributions to website, newsletter, reports and other publications.
- Coordinate with Ceres’ Development Team to develop fundraising proposals to support Ceres’ climate and clean energy work.
- Where appropriate, supervise interns or other staff.
- Travel as necessary for conferences, speaking opportunities, and company and investor engagements.
- Minimum of five years of work experience in related fields
- Knowledge of, and experience related to transportation, climate change, and corporate sustainability issues;
- Knowledge of, and experience related to the transportation sector and policy advocacy;
- Understanding of business and financial sector capabilities, methods, and practices for achieving positive sustainability outcomes;
- Familiarity with corporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) policies and platforms;
- Familiarity with accepted sustainability frameworks and platforms such as GRI, SASB, SBTi, TCFD or others;
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, strong initiative and motivation;
- Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Experience supervising staff members or external consultants;
- Strong meeting facilitation and verbal communication skills;
- Experience working with the media, a plus;
- Knowledge regarding clean energy investment and finance, a plus;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, Google Docs, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.