Manager, Policy, Communications and Marketing
Type of Job
Feb 8, 2021
About the job
Manager, Policy, Communications and Marketing
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through po
werful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses. For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Manager, Policy, Communications and Marketing role will support the policy and communications teams at Ceres with writing, research, and message and content development to elevate the business voice in support of climate policy and environmental equity in key states and at the federal level. We seek a highly-motivated, skillful writer looking to join a fast-paced sustainability advocacy organization to carry out advocacy communications strategies. This position will support the development of high-quality messaging and thought leadership content for both digital and traditional news media, including policy-focused reports and columns (i.e. op-eds, blogs), media releases, sign-on letters and statements and other advocacy materials including newsletters and web and social media marketing content.
The Manager, Policy, Communications and Marketing, will report to Ceres’ Director, Editorial, Communications and Marketing and have a dotted-line to Ceres’ Senior Manager, Policy, Communications. This is a full-time salaried position.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop thought leadership content (e.g. policy position papers, columns, blogs) for external media placement to raise the voices of Ceres investor and corporate messengers and Ceres policy experts, including the Vice President of Government Affairs and Ceres’ Directors of State and Federal Policy.
- Use polling data, partner and coalition priorities, and company and investor network member communications priorities to develop campaign messaging, sign-on letters/statements and other advocacy materials including congressional and member network newsletters and social media content tailored to individual state and federal climate campaigns.
- Work closely with the policy and communications and marketing teams to support the execution of advocacy communications and digital marketing strategies and tactics to elevate Ceres’ state and federal policy advocacy work and partner collaborations among the media and business community.
- Develop media materials to support the Senior Manager, Policy, Communications in targeted media outreach efforts including developing press releases, tailored pitch memos and other media materials. Assist in monitoring media coverage and updating media outreach lists for key states and federal policy reporters, and tracking corporate and investor members messaging to monitor uptake and inform future strategies.
- Provide research and other support around the development of key media messaging for Ceres investor and corporate messengers, as well as Ceres policy experts, for media interviews and other speaking engagements.
- Participate in the development of expanded storytelling strategies for federal and state policy priorities via digital and multimedia content strategies for web and social media campaigns highlighting Ceres advocacy and messengers.
- Support the digital media strategy for the Ceres policy team, including the development of social media kits, video scripts, webpage updates and other content needed to amplify impact and messaging on digital platforms.
- Adopt Ceres brand writing, messaging and design guidelines for written content and follow AP writing style and grammar rules.
- Hold regular check-ins with direct and dotted-line supervisors to align on priorities and demonstrate progress toward work plan and team/individual goals.
- Participate in regular communications and marketing department and policy team meetings to coordinate on and communicate priorities.
- At least five years of work experience in advocacy communications marketing or writing, including media writing.
- Ability to work as part of a team and take a collaborative approach and to deliver independent projects.
- Ability to work quickly, on deadline and independently, in a fast-paced writing environment.
- Superb communications, research, fact-checking, messaging development and writing skills.
- Experience writing for media audiences, including pitches, press releases, statements, columns/op-eds, preferred.
- Demonstrated passion and knowledge of policy advocacy communications, climate change, sustainability and environmental justice issues.
- Knowledge of AP writing style guidelines and other best practices for writing, preferred.
- Adaptable to the writing needs of a changing digital media landscape and in growing an engaged, digital audience.
- Comfortable working with different personalities and people.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Desire to work in a mission-driven and nonprofit environment.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.