Manager, Operations and Finance
Type of Job
$70,000 to $95,000
Jan 6, 2023
About the job
About the Organization
SkyTruth is a conservation technology nonprofit that inspires people to protect the planet by using satellite imagery, big data, and the latest technological innovations to reveal environmentally damaging actions and make their impacts visible and measurable. Since its founding in 2001, SkyTruth’s products have helped countless organizations around the world to hold polluters accountable for harmful activities that would otherwise remain hidden from view.
Mission: Sharing the view from space to promote conservation for people and the planet.
Vision: Everyone around the world enjoys a healthy environment and sustainable livelihood because transparency is the norm: polluters know they will be seen and caught, industries have cleaned up their practices, and governments are vigorously enforcing environmental protection.
SkyTruth’s Flagship Projects
Cerulean and Verdant apply artificial intelligence to analyze satellite imagery at scale. Cerulean automates the near real-time detection of oil pollution at sea, from cargo ships and tankers as well as oil and gas platforms, and identifies the polluters. Verdant is an effort to automatically detect changes in landscapes and ecosystems that signify threats to biodiversity and human well-being.
For more information about SkyTruth and our projects, please visit our website.
About the Position
SkyTruth seeks a Manager of Operations and Finance to join our dynamic and growing team. Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer, the Manager will play a key role in driving operational effectiveness and efficiency. The Manager will support the COO in the development, improvement, and execution of all organizational processes, including financial management, grants and contract management, HR, recruiting, hiring, and onboarding, IT, and administrative infrastructure. The Manager will foster a continuous improvement culture as SkyTruth scales its staff and impact. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented problem solver who can work independently while also collaborating across multiple teams.
Direct reports: Office Administrator and External Accounting Vendor.
- Financial management and reporting. Oversee account receivables and code grants; manage external accountants; develop financial reports for Board, grant reports, and proposals; and support budgeting and audit processes.
- Internal process improvement. Identify and execute on opportunities, tools, and processes to enhance organizational operations and internal communications; lead maintenance of project management and CRM software, file structure, Slack, and other tools; work across teams to ensure consistent processes and tools are effectively utilized across the organization; and monitor compliance with policies and procedures.
- Board management. Support COO with Board Meeting preparations and Board management, including memo and packet development, financial reporting, and minutes.
- People operations. Manage relevant external vendors (e.g., PEO, diversity, equity, and inclusion) and support the planning and execution of culture-building team engagement activities including virtual social hours and in-person retreats.
- Hiring and onboarding. Facilitate hiring and onboarding processes and, as needed, oversee vendors (e.g., recruiter).
- Progress tracking. Support tracking against organizational and departmental OKRs and grant commitments and generate reports for quarterly and annual leadership review and external reporting.
- Other duties as assigned. Execute on various tactical day-to-day administrative and operational duties to provide leverage to the COO.
- 3+ years of progressively responsible administrative, finance, operations, project management, or related experience.
- Business, accounting, or related degree, or a combination of education and experience is required.
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Track record of identifying and implementing improvements to employee experience and benefits, as well as broader organizational culture.
- Experience managing some combination of: direct reports, contractors, vendors.
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills, and the ability to effectively interface with the leadership staff, a board of directors, and staff.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills with experience operating in Google Drive, Slack, QuickBooks, Monday.com or similar software.
If your experience and interests only match some of the above, we still want to hear from you! There is room for the right candidate to grow into other aspects of the role.
- Deep experience in Monday.com or similar productivity software.
- Familiarity with PEOs such as TriNet.
- Grant and proposal writing and management.
- Familiarity with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations.
- Experience with OKRs.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time salaried position with an expected salary range of $70,000 to $95,000, with final compensation depending on skills and experience. SkyTruth offers a robust benefits package that includes a range of health insurance options and a retirement plan with a generous company match.
Our Interview Process
Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 60-minute screening interview with our hiring manager beginning the week of January 23rd. This may be followed by a take home exercise that will not take longer than an hour. Candidates passing this stage will have a final panel interview with other members of the SkyTruth team. Reasonable accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates throughout all aspects of the selection process.
SkyTruth is a fully remote organization working across multiple time zones. Candidates can be located anywhere in the United States but must be available during most Eastern Time zone business hours. Team members attend periodic (1-2 times per year) in-person team onsite meetings.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
The staff and leadership of SkyTruth believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as an organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of SkyTruth and our partners, vendors, suppliers, and contractors. Your skills and experiences are needed here!
Please send a resume and one-page cover letter as a single PDF file (titled “[Last Name], [First Name]: Manager of Operations and Finance Application”) with the subject line “SkyTruth Manager of Operations and Finance Application” to email@example.com.