Type of Job
The salary range for this position begins at $72,000
Nov 3, 2021
About the job
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world's most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society's vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division's creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society's strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is an exciting and growing team within the Communications division at NGS. The department defines and implements an engagement strategy for the Society to deepen relationships with our core audiences and market our key products and services in education, museum and events, Explorer-led programs, and fundraising. Supporting a culture of philanthropy is crucial to the Society and this group leads all advancement marketing and communications efforts to ensure fundraising goals are realized. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns, and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
A skilled omnichannel marketer, National Geographic Society’s Manager, Marketing develops and executes strategies to reach NGS’s target audiences and goals. The Manager supports marketing campaigns for NGS’s programmatic divisions as well as the Advancement team to increase engagement, drive acquisition, generate leads, and to facilitate the growth, identity, and visibility of the National Geographic brand. The Manager creates and contributes to unified campaigns that span paid digital marketing, email, advertising, direct mail, and SMS. This position reports to the Sr Manager, Marketing.
Campaign Strategy (20%):
- Develop and direct marketing strategy and tactical marketing plans to promote NGS’s core products, services, programs, and initiatives to drive engagement, acquisition, growth, and retention. Partner as needed with the Sr. Manager, Marketing.
Campaign Execution (60%):
- Manage and implement the development, review, and dissemination of omnichannel campaign collateral including paid digital marketing, email, advertising, direct mail, and SMS.
- Coordinate staff, contractors, and vendors to support marketing strategy, timelines, budget, and deadlines.
- Support project plans, schedules, and processes.
Performance Optimization (20%):
- Track campaign results, analyze data, develop campaign reports, and create action plans for campaign improvements and optimizations.
- Identify where current marketing processes can be improved or where they may need to be developed.
- Stay engaged in market trends, best practices, and competition through market research, sharing ideas with the teams.
Requirements and Experience:
- 4+ years of experience in marketing or communications, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Experience implementing data-driven marketing plans
- Aptitude for marketing data analysis and able to deliver strong measurable results
- Knowledge of current marketing trends, preferably in the direct-to consumer and advancement spaces
- Superior communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain efficient processes
- Knowledge of digital marketing as well as CRM and email messaging tools
- This role does not have direct reports but may supervise marketing agencies, media buying contractors, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Communications, Marketing, Business, etc.)
Hybrid - This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position begins at $72,000.
Jenn Saldarelli, Vice President at Chaloner is leading the search. Please apply at www.chaloner.com
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization