Manager, Investor Engagement (Banking)
Type of Job
Apr 1, 2022
About the job
Manager, Investor Engagement (Banking)
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses. For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
Ceres' Ambition 2030 is building a zero emissions economy by driving corporate ambition, transparency, and accountability for aggressive reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. A key economic player is the banking sector. Banks play a critical role in aligning the real economy to achieve the goals of net zero emissions by 205 and limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees.
The Manager, Investor Engagement, Banks will work with institutional investors advocating for strong and effective decarbonization policies and practices in the bank sector. This role will work collaboratively with our global partner investor networks. We are looking for a highly motivated self-starter who is passionate about the work of Ceres and cares deeply about the urgent need for climate action. The Manager will engage with members of Ceres’ Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability (comprised of more than 200 institutional investors with over $47 trillion in assets under management) and its Bank Working Group. They will also work with other teams across the organization, including the Company Network and Ceres Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets. The full-time Manager position is on Investor Network, will report to the Director, Investor Engagement, and may be based in Boston or a remote location with easy access to a major airport.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Manage the development and implementation of the initiative through strong project management skills and practices, and goal-oriented outcomes measurement;
- Create the tools, techniques, and practices to support the creation of a robust investor working group, and set clear objectives and milestones for progress;
- Advise and manage Ceres’ Global Banks and Ambition 2030 Initiatives in developing a focus list of companies and investors, and the development of engagement strategies and tactics;
- Serve as liaison to program funders to include contributing to grant proposals and progress reports;
- Manage and deepen Ceres’ relationships with asset owners and asset managers serving a dedicated portfolio of investors; with a particular focus on bank risk and overseeing the Bank working group members:
- Recruit new asset owner and asset manager members to the Investor Network and encourage their action on Banks risk and Net Zero commitments, as well as broader Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) issues;
- Support Ceres’ Investor Network relationship management system for tracking member engagement and activities focused on Bank risk;
- Promote “sustainable investment” policies and practices for banks that incorporate climate risk and other ESG factors into the investment and lending decision-making processes;
- Research, write, and edit communications with Investor Network members, including for website, newsletters, reports and other publications, incorporating Bank risk topics;
- Manage implementation and deliverables for assigned grant reporting;
- Manage annual projects surveys, and other investor related research on Bank risk.
- Partner with other Ceres teams in the Company Network, Accelerator, Climate and Energy, Water, and Food and Agriculture, and Policy Networks to achieve various investor-related corporate engagement goals and strategies;
- Identify opportunities and implement avenues to advance Investor Network goals through projects and activities with members;
- Partner with the Communications team to develop media messaging and communications materials such as op-eds, press releases, and blogs;
- Achieve visibility for Ceres Banks-focused work by helping to organize and manage panels and speaking at investor-facing global events;
- Where appropriate, supervise interns or other staff on projects;
- Travel as necessary for relationship management purposes;
- Minimum of five years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in ESG investing or on sustainability-related issues;
- An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets;
- Experience with banks or a relevant related financial services field is preferable but not required.
- Strong meeting facilitation, communication, and presentation skills, including synthesizing research and conceptual work into actionable deliverables;
- Strong strategic thinking and tactical skills, and ability to mobilize constituencies toward clear goals;
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with investors, multiple partners and/or companies;
- Demonstrated capacity to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, take precise notes, and work well in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects with multiple stakeholders;
- Strong organization, writing, and project management skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Experience using Bloomberg terminals and Salesforce CRM, a plus;
- Attention to detail, intellectual curiosity, passion for learning and a willingness to become proficient in ESG data, frameworks, and reporting;
- Self-starter with an ability to work well both independently and collaboratively;
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills;
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity;
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
Compensation: The hiring salary is $75,000 to $77,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please apply through the Ceres website, https://www.ceres.org/about-us/career-opportunities.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.