Manager, Clean Steel Campaign
Type of Job
Aug 25, 2022
About the job
Manager, Clean Steel Campaign
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres is looking to hire a Clean Steel Campaign Manager to coordinate its campaign on decarbonizing the American steel industry, crucial to eliminating the 7 percent of greenhouse gas emissions that come from steel manufacturing. The successful applicant will work with Ceres’ Climate & Energy, Policy, and Investor Teams to mobilize investors, policymakers, and steel buyers to encourage steelmakers to invest in the clean technology required to reduce emissions in line with a 1.5 degree future. The Manager will also work with Ceres’ investor members to develop strategies for reducing steel asset risk in their own portfolios and coordinate engagement with other key financial sector actors like banks which have the power to influence how steelmakers invest their capital. Last, the manager will coordinate with domestic and international NGOs and government agencies to foster global public- and private-sector standards to curb steel industry emissions worldwide while ensuring a just transition for impacted workers and communities.
This is an exciting time to work with some of the nation’s most influential investors, policymakers, and companies to accelerate change in an industry already making important strides toward a low-carbon future. The job is a full-time position that is Remote or preferably based in our Boston office and will report to the Director of the Clean Steel Campaign.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
· Develop and implement campaign strategies and tactics to encourage steel industry investment in low-emissions technology.
· Work with, expand and mobilize existing investor coalition with the goal of encouraging investment in low-emissions technology.
· Continue to build the business case for investor action on steel industry decarbonization through research and possible report production.
· Develop and execute communications tactics to persuade key decision makers of the business and competitiveness case for steel industry decarbonization.
· Partner closely with other Ceres teams, including the policy and investor teams, to execute Ceres’ clean steel strategy.
· Coordinate Ceres’ collaboration on steel with a broad range of national and international NGOs.
· As needed, support related work, for instance, on green hydrogen research, development and deployment.
· Lead workshop design and oversee organization for Ceres Conference
· Represent Ceres as a speaker at conferences and events.
· Through in-person meetings, conference calls, electronic communication, and written material, engage with companies, investors, and other stakeholders.
· Conduct annual assessment of campaign outcomes and recommend updated strategies and tactics based on evaluation.
· Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
· Knowledge of environmental, climate, energy, and sustainability issues and an understanding of corporations, the socially responsible investment community, and the environmental, sustainability, labor, and environmental justice movements.
· Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to interface with senior industry executives, policymakers and peer organizations
· Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation
· Advocacy or campaign experience is preferred.
· Successful record of organizing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
· Ability to conduct and synthesize research on climate, energy, and industrial policy
· Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
· Knowledge of industrial energy use and GHG emissions management is preferred.
Compensation: The hiring salary is $75,000 to $78,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references through our online application system.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.