Manager, Clean Energy and Climate
Type of Job
About the job
Manager, Clean Energy & Climate
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager, Clean Energy & Climate, will organize and coordinate work with investors, companies and other key stakeholders focused on encouraging companies to make ambitious corporate clean energy commitments. This position will collaborate closely with various teams across the organization working on corporate clean energy and climate commitments and policy. The Manager, Clean Energy & Climate will manage key projects and campaigns, including initiatives focused on specific sectors (e.g. steel, heavy industry, chemicals, etc.). This is a full-time salaried position, based out of Ceres’ Boston office, and reporting to the Director for Energy Efficiency.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design and implement cross-organizational strategy to generate private sector clean energy & climate commitments, especially in targeted sectors and working in close coordination with the Director for Corporate Clean Energy Leadership, the Director for Energy Efficiency, and in collaboration with the Policy Network, Company Network, and Investor Network teams.
- Develop Ceres’ cross-organizational emissions-reduction strategy on engaging companies in key industrial sectors, potentially including chemicals, cement/concrete, heavy industry, and real estate.
- Coordinate with Investor Network to support investors with research, materials drafting, and strategic guidance on engaging with companies in key sectors to boost adoption of clean energy and reduce GHG emissions.
- Support Policy Network on state and federal clean energy policy initiatives including through research, writing, advocacy, and constituent outreach and organizing.
- Present Ceres’ strategic and advocacy voice in engagements with external partners and at strategic convenings and events regarding clean energy adoption.
- Coordinate, oversee and/or conduct research on clean energy adoption, with a particular focus on the business case, opportunities, and public policy context for investors and companies.
- Research, write, and edit corporate clean energy and climate related communications including contributions to website, newsletter, reports and other publications.
- Coordinate with Ceres Development Team to develop fundraising proposals to support Ceres’ climate and clean energy work.
- Where appropriate, supervise interns or other staff.
- Travel as necessary for conferences, speaking opportunities, and company and investor engagements.
- Minimum of five years of work experience in a related field
- Knowledge of, and experience related to climate change, clean energy, and corporate sustainability issues;
- Knowledge of, and experience related to key sectors such as heavy industry, chemicals, cement/concrete, or real estate;
- Understanding of business and financial sector capabilities, methods, and practices for achieving positive sustainability outcomes;
- Familiarity with corporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) policies and platforms;
- Familiarity with accepted sustainability frameworks and platforms such as GRI, SASB, SBTi, GRESB or others;
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, strong initiative and motivation;
- Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Experience supervising staff members or external consultants;
- Strong meeting facilitation and verbal communication skills;
- Experience working with the media, a plus;
- Knowledge regarding clean energy investment and finance, a plus;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, Google Docs, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.