Manager, Audience Insights
Type of Job
The salary range for this position begins at $92,000.
Dec 8, 2021
About the job
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world's most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society's vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division's creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society's strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is an exciting and growing team within the Communications division at NGS. The department defines and implements an engagement strategy for the Society to deepen relationships with our core audiences and market our key products and services in education, museum and events, Explorer-led programs, and fundraising. Supporting a culture of philanthropy is crucial to the Society and this group leads all advancement marketing and communications efforts to ensure fundraising goals are realized. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns, and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
A leader in data-driven decision-making, National Geographic Society’s Manager, Audience Insights is laser-focused on understanding and growing our core audiences through research, analytics, and measurement strategies and serves as the “voice of the user” across the Communications team. Implements tools and tactics to translate data into valuable and actionable insights. Provides campaign performance analysis and reporting. Utilizes segmentation and analytics to develop audience engagement strategies to improve the user journey across touch points, strengthen the experience, and drive adoption and retention efforts. Manages marketing-owned insights and listening tools. This position reports to the Senior Director, Integrated Marketing.
Audience Growth and Optimization (60%):
- Work closely with the Strategic Insights & Initiatives (SII), Technology and Advancement teams to aggregate holistic data on external partners, educators, and donors together to inform decision-making on NGS funding, programs, and future marketing efforts.
- With the guidance of the VP of Engagement & Marketing and the VP of Annual Giving & Membership, help build robust donor profiles around newer audiences and donors to NGS to help shape lookalike models to tailor upcoming fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborate with SII on enterprise-wide research initiatives, reporting, dashboard creation and additional measurement and evaluation work as it pertains to audience segmentation and marketing strategies.
- Utilizes segmentation and analytics to develop audience engagement strategies to improve the user journey across touchpoints, strengthen the experience, and drive adoption and retention efforts.
- Spearhead qualitative research methods such as focus groups, audience/market research, campaign content analyses, interviews.
Campaign Performance (40%):
- Key deliverables for this position will include campaign-specific metrics and reporting, integration of existing data analysis tools and platforms with internal NGS collaborators on data and translating insights into actionable next steps for budget projections and future campaigns.
- Serve as a Heap internal power user to facilitate the use and dissemination of digital insights and analytics across NGS.
- In partnership with the SII and technology teams, monitor website performance, traffic, and broader infrastructure to optimize campaign performance.
- Monitor and analyze performance across digital channels and data sources, including social media, advertising, SEO, website, email, CRM, and other platforms.
Requirements and Experience:
- At least five years of experience working in audience analytics and data.
- Experience democratizing data across an organization.
- Strong qualitative skills and an understanding of behavioral economics.
- Experience working with nonprofit and mission-driven organizations is a plus.
- Experience with advancement/development marketing is a plus.
- A passion for the Society’s mission to use science, exploration, education, and storytelling to illuminate and protect the planet.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be part of a team embarking on a new journey.
- Humility, creativity, and leadership with the ability to work cohesively and collaboratively across teams and functions.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Communications, Marketing, Business, etc.)
Hybrid - This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position begins at $92,000.
Amy Segelin, Partner at Chaloner is leading the search. Please apply at www.chaloner.com
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.