Type of Job
Dec 9, 2022
About the job
Job Title: Legal Assistant
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports To: Managing Paralegal or Operations Manager
Context: At the Sierra Club, we are committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of volunteer leaders and local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: Sierra Club is seeking a Legal Assistant to join its national legal team as a Legal Assistant for Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program (ELP). The Legal Assistant will provide litigation support to advance the mission of the Environmental Law Program and Sierra Club campaigns, conduct legal and factual research, and manage programmatic aspects of ELP.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with attorneys, paralegals, and other ELP staff to complete the critical, precise tasks of litigation, including editing, formatting and otherwise preparing legal documents, communicating with court clerks, and filing and serving documents properly and on time.
- Interviews potential standing declarants and drafts standing declarations under the supervision of attorneys.
- Drafts and submits Freedom of Information Act and Public Records Act requests under the supervision of attorneys.
- Monitors and reports all relevant public information regarding permitting, public notices, and media relating to current and potential legal actions relating to coal plants and other priority targets of Sierra Club campaigns.
- Conducts miscellaneous research and prepares reports in support of Sierra Club campaigns.
- Tracks and records the status of litigation, rulemakings, etc. to enable access to legal and technical resources by the network of attorneys and allied organizations collaborating on Sierra Club campaigns.
- Performs a range of administrative and clerical duties which include scheduling, invoice processing, reimbursements, travel logistics, copying, collating, faxing, supply ordering, filing, event planning and organizing for ELP, mail pickup, and managing various spreadsheets for general program information.
Standard Overtime:This position requires occasional overtime to meet special deadlines, projects, other staff absences, or emergencies. Under these circumstances, overtime will rarely exceed 5 hours per week or 15 hours on a monthly basis.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines.
- Computer skills: Experience with Microsoft Office (including strong familiarity with Excel and Word). Familiarity with G-suite plus general computer literacy and solid internet research skills required.
- Solid research, writing, oral communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to do precise, careful work needed for courtroom filings, attorney admissions, and correspondence with courts, external parties, etc.
- Ability to work successfully in teams and under their own initiative, to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and to make timely decisions.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Knowledge of energy and climate data sources and familiarity with government climate/energy policy and litigation procedures.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $62,000, non-negotiable.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Sierra Employee Alliance.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 6 non-exempt, represented position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Philosophy"), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.