Leaders of Color Crew Member
Type of Job
$330/week + AmeriCorps Education Award
Jan 20, 2021
About the job
Position: Leaders of Color Crew Member
Start/ End dates: 5/25/2021 – 10/22/2021
Status: Seasonal, Full-time, Camping Program
Location: Salida, CO
Ages: 18 – 30
Benefits: $3,172.50 900 hr AmeriCorps Education Award (Value may change depending on term of service), Food provided while in the field, uniform shirts, personal protective equipment. USFS recognized Chainsaw & Crosscut certification, Mental Health First Aid Training, Wilderness First Responder & CPR/AED certification
As a member of Southwest Conservation Corp’s Leaders of Color crew, you will engage in a variety of conservation projects while building a crew community of members who are Black, Indigenous, and/or People of color. The Leaders of Color crew provides an open and supportive space where BIPOC members work with, learn from, and grow alongside one another as members gain trainings and certifications in chainsaw, crosscut, rigging, technical rock work, and trail construction. No experience necessary.
This crew consists of 6 members and 2 leaders. Crews work and camp for 8 days at a time in either frontcountry (access to your crew vehicle and trailer), or backcountry (hiking all your supplies in with backpacks) locations, in all types of weather conditions. You will work as a member of the crew; perform heavy manual labor, and complete conservation projects using a variety of manual and power tools. You will participate in environmental education activities. Risk management is of utmost importance, and all procedures must be followed at all times.
Projects include trail construction and maintenance, hazardous fuels reduction, corridor clearing, habitat restoration and fencing, re-vegetation, and local environmental service projects. Crews may also complete technical and/or specialized projects depending on project partner needs, including disaster relief if the opportunity arises.
Schedules generally are 8-days on and 6 off. There is a possibility you could work 5-days on and 2-days off, or a variation of schedules requiring all AmeriCorps crew members to show flexibility. SCC does not provide housing on your off days.
All crews will go through an unpaid, 5-day orientation. Food and space to camp is provided for this training.
Required Skills & Experience
Participant Essential Eligibility Requirements
Essential eligibility requirements for the program must be met. If you are unable to meet certain requirements, we may be able to assist you with some modification unless it alters the fundamental nature of the program, compromises the health and safety of participants or staff, or places an undue financial or administrative burden on the organization.
- To qualify, you must be between the ages of 18 and 30
- Must be a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, Person of Color) community member
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 lbs
- A US citizen that has received (or on track to receive) a high school diploma or GED
- All offers of employment are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.
Participant and Expedition Behavior
- Desire to participate in a diverse BIPOC crew and culture
- Work effectively as a member of a team despite potentially stressful and difficult conditions
- Willingness and ability to complete all aspects of the program
- Contribute to a safe learning environment; no harassment of any kind
- Appropriately represent SCC and AmeriCorps to the public and project partners at all time
Risk Management and Judgement
- Effectively follow direction by others, so that you will be able to successfully manage hazards
- Ask clarifying question when you do not understand a task
- Maintain focus during workday, both while traveling and working in varied weather conditions.
- If taking prescription medications, participants must be able to maintain proper dosage without assistance from others.
Environmental Ethics & Outdoor Skills
- Learn and safely perform fundamental outdoor living and work skills as appropriate to the project.
- Live in a physically demanding, possibly remote environment for an uninterrupted period of up to several weeks
- In accordance with a drug free workplace, alcohol and drugs are prohibited while participating in AmeriCorps and SCC activities, and while on organization property.
TO APPLY: Visit https://sccorps.org/open-positions
SCC Los Valles equity is a core value. To put power behind this statement, we prioritize and encourage opportunities for Black, Indigenous, Queer, Trans, and Women of Color (QTBIPOC). Interested candidates are encouraged to contact for inquiries and submit an application on our website.