Type of Job
$18.25 – $20.50/hour Depending on experience.
Mar 3, 2023
About the job
BNRC is seeking a full-time Land Steward to join its Stewardship team. This position will assist with the management of BNRC’s fee-owned reserves with improved public access, and support all other aspects of the stewardship department. The Land Steward will serve as a crew leader for a seasonal crew during the summer months. This position will report to the Property Manager, and will work closely with all members of the stewardship team.
Specific responsibilities include:
- General property maintenance and land management including:Grass trail and field mowing
- Clearing trails of fallen trees
- Installation of signs, kiosks, etc.
- Identifying issues on trails and recording them online
- Other trail maintenance tasks
Serves as crew leader for seasonal crewMonitors BNRC’s fee-owned properties for misuse
- Boundary marking and maintenance
- Makes sure crew has tools and equipment they need
- Maintains a high standard of quality
- Provides motivation and support to crew members
- Assists Trail Crew with trail construction as needed.
- Assists with volunteer workdays and public outreach events as needed.
- Workshop, tool, and equipment maintenance.
The successful candidate may not have all these qualifications so if you have some, and/or
demonstrably related experience, please go ahead and apply.
- Ability and willingness to obtain chainsaw certification (BNRC will provide training)
- Ability to work alone in natural areas, on and off trail.
- Comfortable hiking long distances with heavy loads;
- Experience operating or willingness to learn to operate power equipment like chainsaw, brush saw, walk-behind mowers, tractor and other power tools;
- Willingness to work outside year-round, in all weather conditions;
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with colleagues, landowners, contractors, and volunteers;
- A valid driver’s license and ability to travel extensively throughout Berkshire County.
Compensation: $18.25 – $20.50/hour Depending on experience.
- Medical and dental coverage
- 24 days PTO (vacation/sick/personal) and 13 paid holidays
- Flexible hours and hybrid remote/office work
- 401(k) and employer match
- Travel reimbursement
- A great team of coworkers in a welcoming office setting in Lenox, Massachusetts
Start date: Position available now; resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting on March 13th, until the position is filled.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Land Steward” in the subject line.
Please note: this position requires up-to-date Covid vaccination.
BNRC is an equal opportunity employer.
BNRC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification and expression, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, status as disabled or Vietnam Era veteran or status in any group protected against discrimination by federal, state, or local law.
We welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. BNRC is actively engaged in ensuring its properties are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of its work.
Though the job described above will begin entirely or almost entirely in English, BNRC welcomes interest from bilingual candidates who can support the organization in being more inclusive in its work.