Land & Boundary Steward
New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
Feb 13, 2023
About the job
Join the Mohonk Preserve Team!
Land & Boundary Steward – Part-time; Seasonal (June-Dec)
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals. Mohonk Preserve encourages applications from women, minorities and/or other underrepresented groups.
About the Position:
As Land & Boundary Steward, you’ll be responsible for the physical patrol, maintenance, and documentation of a portion of Mohonk Preserve’s nearly 80 miles of fee property boundary, as well as the conservation easements in the Preserve’s portfolio, and related tasks.
We are seeking a land protection professional with working knowledge of mapping programs and tools – current ESRI ArcGIS applications (required); other mapping tools, e.g., Gaia, Avenza, (preferred) and ability to read and evaluate the landscape. The Steward will prepare written monitoring reports for all sections of fee boundary and conservation easements monitored in accordance with Mohonk Preserve and Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices. This position reports to the Land Protection & GIS Manager.
· $18.00/hour for a maximum of 600 hours
· Housing is available if needed
· Inspect, witness, document and maintain Preserve fee land boundary and other land parcel lines to affirm actual boundaries with historic/legal records, and to prevent unauthorized trespass, occupancy, or other encroachment
· Prepare written boundary monitoring and/or baseline data reports for fee owned lands and conservation easements of the Mohonk Preserve in accordance with Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices
· Conduct site visits and prepare documentation to support conservation initiatives
· Assist with maintenance and management of property files, survey files and GIS data
Desired Skills and Experience:
At Mohonk Preserve, our priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all the qualifications or have a less traditional background.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Environmental Science, Land and Natural Resource Management, Forestry, or other related fields of study desirable/preferred OR equivalent combination of education and experience
· Working knowledge of mapping programs and tools – current ESRI ArcGIS applications required
· Ability to read and evaluate the landscape (i.e., tree blazes, stone rows, rail and wire fences, hedgerows, corner monumentation, signage, flagging, etc.)
· Ability to effectively use map and compass, land surveys and aerial photos for navigation and interpretation of the landscape
· Ability to use technological tools for fieldwork, including two-way radio equipment, cameras, GPS, and various mobile applications
· Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice to ensure that all people are respected and welcomed at the Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
· Driver’s license; ability to pass background check required
· Bonus skills:
o Bi-lingual (Spanish/English)
o Experience with mapping tools, e.g., Gaia, Avenza
o Experience with a non-profit land trust or other land resource agency or comparable field of work
o Knowledge of Land Trust Alliance (LTA) Standards and Practices
o Knowledge base of the natural and cultural history of the region
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. This position will be based out of the Preserve’s Daniel Smiley Research Center (DSRC) on the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House resort. Mohonk Preserve offers hybrid work schedules at this time – coordinated with their supervisor and depending on the job, staff may be able to split time working remotely, as well as in the office and in-person on the land. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Mohonk Preserve membership for duration of position
- Access to lands and some activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask per CDC guidelines CDC Mask Guidance. Regular testing may be required for the unvaccinated. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID-19 protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
· Ability to traverse and navigate deep, back-country, off-trail land conditions of varying, sometimes extremely rugged, mountain terrain while carrying equipment for up to 8 hours at a time
· Frequently works outdoors
· May require standing, walking, hiking, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
· Uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
· Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
Applications accepted via e-mail only. Please submit as a single PDF: cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three professional references by 5PM EST March 17, 2023 to: email@example.com
Include in subject line “Land & Boundary Steward”
The anticipated start date of this position is June 5, 2023.
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/