Labor Outreach Coordinator
Type of Job
May 23, 2022
About the job
TEXAS CLIMATE JOBS PROJECT: Labor Outreach Coordinator
The Texas Climate Jobs Project seeks a dynamic and passionate Labor Outreach Coordinator who will help lead a groundbreaking effort to coordinate efforts among Texas labor unions to facilitate organizing, educating, and mobilizing union and non-union workers, including oil and gas workers, to help lead on climate change and clean energy initiatives across the state.
Overview of the Organization
The mission of the Texas Climate Jobs Project is to advance a pro-climate, pro-worker agenda in Texas. Through innovative research and policy development; popular education; community engagement; advocacy; and strategic coalition building and partnerships, Texas Climate Jobs Project is engaging in collective action to win substantive policy changes that both protect the climate and create good local jobs.
Texas Climate Jobs Project is part of Fair Shot Texas and the Fair Shot Texas Action Fund, nonprofit partner organizations that were founded in partnership with the Texas AFL-CIO to advance a working families policy agenda in Texas.
The Labor Outreach Coordinator responsibilities will include:
- Organizing, Outreach, and Education: Conducting outreach and identifying leaders. Develop relationships and maintain regular contact with a diverse range of leaders from across the state, including union leaders, rank and file union members, climate activists, community groups, and others.
- Popular Education: Engaging in popular education and activities to support collective action through training, workshops, presentations, and one-on-one meetings as part of broader strategic campaigns.
- Administration and Operations: Working with the Executive Director, Campaigns Director, Statewide Organizer, and other staff to support effective administrative and operations functions.
- Volunteer Management and Professional Development: Identifying and developing the capacity of volunteers and leaders in a variety of environments across the state to support a pro-worker, pro-climate agenda in Texas.
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed
Primary Characteristics and Experience
The Texas Climate Jobs Project Labor Outreach Coordinator should be an experienced, passionate advocate for a progressive economic agenda, a deep believer in the power of unions to lead on economic and climate issues, and committed to meet the existential threat of both global climate change and economic inequality with bold, transformative solutions.
The position will be based in our Austin office with frequent travel to surrounding cities such as Houston and San Antonio. The position will depend on deep relational organizing and leadership identification and development with union leaders, rank and file members, and non-union workers.
In addition, the Labor Outreach Coordinator should have:
- Significant experience in labor, grassroots and/or relational organizing;
- Deep understanding of relationship building and organizing, especially among diverse groups of people;
- Demonstrated leadership and track record of building relationships with individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds;
- Experience with building committees and teams of people with broadly shared leadership and clearly defined campaign goals, and experience with this in a climate or labor setting is a plus;
- Attention to detail and strong writing skills, with an interest in learning about a wide range of issues and the ability to convey and translate complex information for a variety of audiences;
- An ability to work independently and juggle multiple priorities;
- A working knowledge and demonstrated commitment to the labor movement;
- Knowledge of the Texas landscape for social and political movements is a plus;
- Critical thinking and ability to think strategically about building and exercising power;
- Excellent communication skills: verbal and listening, writing, outgoing presentation, and the passion and presence to be a dynamic leader and connect with diverse audiences;
- Ability to travel to different areas of the state when conditions allow;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep interest in local policy, politics, and government;
- Flexibility and potential to excel in a fast-paced, quickly-evolving campaign movement that has a diverse and invested group of stakeholders.
Salary: Minimum $55,000, with potential adjustments upward depending on experience. Excellent benefits including healthcare, retirement, and paid leave. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Labor Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but applications received before June 17, 2022 will be given preference.
Texas Climate Jobs Project & Fair Shot Texas are committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and veteran or disability statuses. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences with a commitment to building collective union power and working for a better Texas to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.