IT System Admin/End User Support Specialist
Type of Job
$70,000 to $75,000 Annually
May 31, 2023
About the job
Salary Range: $70,000.00 To 75,000.00 Annually
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Extended to June 18th (may close early due to application volume)
The Wilderness Society is looking for a mid-level IT End User Support Specialist/System Admin to join our team! We are looking for someone to work hands-on supporting end-users both in-house and remotely. You’ll work with Windows and Mac OS; Office 365; Azure; Help Desk ticketing tools; and security software. You’ll get Tier 1 and 2 support tickets and do back-end support as well as working on M365 Groups/Teams. You’ll be working with a diverse staff, stretching from Maine to Alaska who are passionate about their conservation work.
We are looking for someone who understands that our job is to make our team’s jobs easier, and our support is essential to the organization accomplishing its mission.
The successful applicant will be comfortable with communicating with our end users both verbally and written. The position will be involved in day-to-day typical IT work, including computer set-up and remote user support, and answering end user help desk tickets. This position will also be involved in IT security assessment and remediation as well as provide training to end users. The position is a hybrid position requiring time in our DC office – taking care of our inventory, prepping equipment for shipping, supporting large meetings, special events and team meetings. A working understanding of AV equipment and collaboration tools like Microsoft Teams and Zoom is necessary. This position will occasional require early or late work supporting your team and the organization.
This position will be based in Washington, DC with occasional travel needed to our other offices throughout the US.
This position plays an important role in supporting an inclusive organizational culture that is grounded in trust and accountability to shared goals and outcomes. TWS has made diversity, equity, and inclusion strategic priorities for the organization and the successful candidate will integrate these priorities throughout their work and daily interactions with staff. Across our team, we aspire to be campaign oriented, nimble, collaborative, innovative, transparent, and supportive of staff – our greatest asset.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides IT support for internal end users with general and application-specific issues and resolves hardware/software issues as quickly as possible.
- Installs and upgrades hardware, applications, and peripherals as needed both in person and remotely.
- Coordinates with third-party service providers for timely repair or replacement of hardware when needed.
- Help maintain and improve our help desk ticketing system.
- Assists in maintaining and improving our cloud-based network and security.
- Organizes and maintain IT hardware and peripherals inventory.
- Lends IT support in areas such as cybersecurity and Office 365 training.
- Assists in improving and creating process documentation.
- Ensures practice of department security standards and efficiency of IT infrastructure.
- Performs account and computer set-up for new employees and current employees and assist in offboarding exiting employees.
- Provides written guides and topical training sessions to staff.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Experience, Competencies, and Education
- At least 3 years’ experience in an IT system administration or end user support role in a Microsoft-based shop.
- Working knowledge in at least one of our specialty systems: Mimecast, Palo Alto Firewalls/Panorama, Drupal, WordPress, Spiceworks, Microsoft Azure, ARC-GIS, Microsoft Defender/Security Center, Microsoft Intune/Endpoint Manager, Meraki Switches/WiFi Appliances.
- Experience in a role which required software, hardware, and network installation, maintenance, and configuration.
- Track record working successfully in teams representing a rich mix of talent, backgrounds, and perspectives—across race and gender.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate highly technical information to a non-technical user-base.
- Proven ability to work successfully as an independent contributor as well as part of a team.
- Must be detail oriented, analytically minded, and have an approachable, service-oriented demeanor. Strong customer service skills are a must.
- Ability to provide one-on-one training as well as group training when needed.
- The ideal candidate will have or be in the process of completing one of the following certifications: CompTIA++, MSCE, PCCET or PCNSA.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of experience, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
TWS has instituted a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for all staff reporting to a TWS office or engaging in in-person work meetings. There is an exception to the vaccine mandate for any staff who have an objection because of a medical or religious reason. We will do our best to devise a reasonable accommodation that respects your objection while balancing the competing demands of your specific position.
The Wilderness Society offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; sick and vacation leave; a sabbatical program; and a retirement plan. TWS is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair treatment of our employees and constituents across culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
As an organization, we aspire to being inclusive in the work that we do, and in the kind of organization we are. Internally this means working as a team that listens to different points of view, recognizes the contributions of every employee, and empowers each employee to bring their whole selves to work every day. Externally this means ensuring that public lands are inclusive and welcoming, so that our shared wildlands can help people and nature to thrive. We are committed to equity throughout our work, which we define as our commitment to realizing the promise of our public lands and ensuring that all can share in their universal benefits.
To learn more about our commitment, please see http://wilderness.org/our-commitment-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-wilderness-society