Interpretation Member - Lava Beds National Monument
Type of Job
$500/week + Housing + Americorps
May 1, 2023
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with Lava Beds National Monument, is seeking ONE Interpretation Member to contribute to interpretive projects alongside NPS Staff.
For more information about ACE and to apply, please visit: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/964243.html
Start Date: 5/21/2023 (Some flexibility for the right candidate)
End Date: 9/22/2023
*an 18-week minimum commitment is required*
Location Details/Description: Lava Beds National Monument, CA.
Lava Beds is located in remote northeastern California and sits on the slope of the largest volcano in the Cascade Ranger District. The high desert landscape converts into a ponderosa pine forest along the south boundary. Under the sagebrush landscape, you'll find lava flows, and over 900 lava tube caves. In addition to its outstanding geological features, the monument encompasses the main battlefields of the Modoc War of 1872-1873, the only major Indian war fought in California.
On-site housing will be provided at the Lava Beds located 22 miles from the nearest town of Tulelake, where you can secure fuel and basic grocery necessities. There are three restaurant options either in or near Tulelake. About an hour north you can also access Klamath Falls (this is where you will want to do most of your shopping). You'll find lots of shopping options for groceries and other basic needs, and well as several restaurant options and entertainment options.
Position Overview: The member will assist with the park by providing education programs for school groups on the geology and cultural history of the park. The member will work during months when schools are in session will provide on average one education program per week, with school groups ranging from 15-45 students per program. The member will work collaboratively with the interpretation division to provide visitors with information and interpretation about the park and surrounding area. The member will be in daily contact with visitors and will assist them while working in the visitor center. When working at the visitor center, the member will also assist stocking the bookstore and making sales. The member will also have time to rove independently and provide informal interpretation through rove contacts and social media posts.
-Additionally, the Member will create educational materials to use during outreach events, such as bird identification using bird photos and skulls that might be used during a bird day type of event. Throughout the year LABE participates in outreach events almost monthly, during and the member will likely participate in up to three different outreach events each, where they will staff an information table and use the activities they have created to educate visitors about the park's resources. During these outreach events. The member could interact with up to 500 people per day.
-This individual placement is meant to facilitate professional development and promotes exposure to land management agencies and networking with professionals. This could include gaining experience in different conservation fields and shadowing different work groups.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility.
Scheduling: ACE members will typically work 40 hours per week. Work weeks may include weekends and some holidays but will include two back-to-back days off each week.
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $500/week to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
AmeriCorps Education Award Program: This position may be eligible for a 675-hour AmeriCorps Education Award while serving under the EAP 2022/23 grant year program, valued up to $2,474.27 upon successful completion of a complete service term and 675hrs.
Loan Forbearance: AmeriCorps members may also be eligible for federal loan forbearance. Additional enrollment steps are required.
Qualifying Child Care Coverage: AmeriCorps members may also be eligible for qualifying child care coverage. Additional enrollment steps are required.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a federal hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility, or view general information online https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
Housing: ACE members will be accommodated in provided housing at no cost for the duration of the term. Housing will be either a shared apartment or house. Both options will include all basic furniture, sofa, dining table and chairs, desk, dresser and a twin bed. The kitchen includes an oven, stove top, microwave, and refrigerator. WiFi is provided.
Gear Allowance: ACE members will have up to $250 to spend on eligible gear purchases. Eligible gear for this position must be approved by ACE staff prior to purchase.
Provided Training/Orientation: ACE members will receive position specific training and an orientation outlining ACE policies and procedures, clear guidance on prohibited activities, and networks for support.
- Members must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, as required byU.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass the required three-part criminal history check.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members will need to complete bi-weekly timesheets, beginning of term feedback forms, end of term evaluations and for longer terms, a mid-term evaluation.
- Member may not participate in any prohibited activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement or as defined by AmeriCorps.
- To learn more about eligibility requirements, please visit our website https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
- Due to the remote location of Lava Beds and park housing the member will need a vehicle to be able to go grocery shopping.
- Competitive applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing two years of related course work, work experience or a Bachelor's degree in related field such as environmental studies, environmental education, community/regional planning, recreation management, natural resource management, geography, geology or history.
- Attention to detail, organized, and experience working in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and be a self-starter.
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of people and collaborate with others (NPS staff and partners) toward a mutual goal.
- Comfort working outside to gather park data information and inside at a desk.
- Experience working with school groups.
Physical Demands, Work Environment and Working Conditions:
- Physical Demands: Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking, hiking, carrying, using hands to handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, talking and hearing. Manual dexterity required for use of various tools, computer keyboard/mouse and other office equipment. Required to [stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and/or crouch. Ability to hike over various terrain.
- Vision Requirements: Requires close, distance, peripheral and depth perception vision as well as the ability to focus.
- Weight Lifted or Force Exerted: Ability to move up to 25 pounds.
- Environmental: Outdoor and indoor conditions.
- Noise Environment: Moderate noise such as in a business office with equipment and light traffic.
- Travel: This position does not require unique travel.
Environmental Conditions/Hazards: The ACE member(s) may encounter environmental conditions/hazards including extreme heat or cold, rocky terrain, swamp or wetland conditions, biting insects, and potentially dangerous wildlife. The member is expected to conduct duties in a safe and orderly manner so as not to endanger self, fellow staff/members or resources.
Vehicle and Equipment Use/Safety: If a vehicle is required for the accomplishment of the duties, one will be provided by the agency/partner or ACE. Any tools required for the accomplishment of the duties will be provided by the agency/partner. Use of personal protective equipment (PPE), typically provided by the agency/partner, will be mandatory for any activity that requires it. Strict adherence to agency/partner and ACE equipment training, certification and safety protocols is required.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/964243.html
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact Recruitment and Outreach Coordinator, Shannon Borowy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.