Interpretation Member - Fort Pulaski National Monument
Type of Job
Dec 21, 2021
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service, is seeking ONE Interpretation Member to serve within the Interpretation and Visitor Services Division at Fort Pulaski National Monument.
For the full position announcement and to apply visit:https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/707169.html
Start Date: February 7th, 2022 (some flexibility may be available)
End Date: August 6th, 2022 (or 26 weeks after start date)
*A 26-week minimum commitment is required for this position*
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $450/week to offset the costs of food, housing, and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
Housing: Housing is the responsibility of the member and not provided by ACE or NPS.
*local candidates are encouraged to apply*
AmeriCorps: This position may be eligible for a 900-hour AmeriCorps Education Award (~$3,172) upon successful completion of service hours.
Schedule: 40 hours per week for the 26-week long commitment. Schedule will be from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, five days per week. Weekend service is required. The member may request time off within reason.
Duties for this position may include:
- Staffing the visitor information desk
- Answering routine visitor questions and providing information and directions to the public
- Providing informal interpretation and safety information while roving in the fort and on park trails
- Providing guided tours, walks, and talks for the general public and special groups
- Assisting with the park's education program by providing curriculum-based programming to educational field trips
- Assisting with public outreach via the development of content for social media, the park website, and printed publications
- Assisting with special events, including living history events and historic weapons demonstrations
This individual placement is meant to facilitate professional development and promotes exposure to land management agencies and networking with professionals. This could include gaining experience in different conservation fields and shadowing different work groups.
Your health is important to us! Please note that duties may shift in order to prevent and reduce transmission of COVID-19. Visit the CDC website for further resources: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Members must be US citizen or Permanent Resident, as required to comply with U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A current and valid form of ID (will be required to provide copies of ID's upon hiring)
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- A personal vehicle is required as there is no public transportation available to and from the park.
- Must be able to interact successfully with visitors from diverse backgrounds.
- Must be willing to handle serving both indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Southern Georgia is hot and humid in summer.
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the time they start their term, or request a medical or religious exemption.
- Experience teaching/interacting with children
- Experience in public speaking, teaching, environmental or cultural education, or interpretation
- Some knowledge-or the willingness to quickly learn--the history of the United States, including but not limited to the United States Civil War, the American Revolution, Reconstruction, and the history of the southeastern United States, especially the Georgia and the South Carolina coasts.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/707169.html Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC National Recruitment Specialist, Madison Ficca, at firstname.lastname@example.org