Interpretation and Education Members - Golden Gate National Recreation Area
San Francisco, CA
Type of Job
Sep 8, 2022
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service is seeking THREE Members to contribute to interpretation and education projects alongside the Golden Gate National Recreation Area Staff.
For the full position description and to apply, please visit: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/849436.html
Start Date: January 17, 2023
End Date: June 2, 2023
*a 20 week minimum commitment is required *
Location: Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Mill Valley, CA
Golden Gate National Recreation Area encompasses multiple park sites of Muir Woods, Alcatraz Island, Marin Headlands, Fort Point National Historic Site, and Presidio of San Francisco. This park unit hosts 19 distinct ecosystems, 2000 plant and animal species, and offers a diverse cultural history for visitors to learn about and explore.
For more information about Golden Gate National Recreation Area please https://www.nps.gov/goga/index.htm.
For more information about ACE, please visit: usaconservation.org
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $450 week to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
Housing: ACE members will be accommodated in shared housing provided by NPS in the park for the duration of the term.
AmeriCorps: This position may be eligible for a 675-hour AmeriCorps Education Award $2,417.14 upon successful completion of service hours. Additional enrollment steps are required.
Scheduling: Full time position – 40 hours week, Monday- Friday; time- off is available during school breaks as arranged by supervisor.
Want to inspire youth to tackle environmental and social justice issues? Drawn to teaching K-12 students? Fascinated by the geology at your feet? Want to know more about the magic of the ancient redwood forest?
Then, this 20 week education and interpretation position may be just right for you! You will work side-by-side with National Park Service Rangers to deliver K-12 education programs that involve students in meaningful and engaging learning opportunities in the sciences and social studies. You will work within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA), with sites such as Muir Woods, Alcatraz Island, Marin Headlands, Fort Point National Historic Site, and Presidio of San Francisco.
As an Interpretation and Education Member with the National Park Service, you will:
- Co-deliver classroom lessons that prepare students for field sessions
- Facilitate field programs with other park staff and volunteers
- Help create lessons and field activities for outdoor programs
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility.
- Members must be US citizen or Permanent Resident, as required to comply with U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or have requested and been granted a medical or religious exemption to vaccination by the time they start their term.
- To learn more about eligibility requirements, please visit our website here.
- Experience performing education programming for underprivileged youth from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Bi-lingual skills welcomed, especially Spanish and Chinese (or other language)
- Professional demeanor while working with visitors and colleagues
- Interest in working with Title I schools in the Bay Area
- Interest in student- centered learning, culturally relevant pedagogy, and curriculum based education.
- Candidates with bilingual skills are encouraged to apply with a preference for Spanish/ Cantonese.
- Desired applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or and/or have relevant experience with outdoor education and youth engagement.
- Ability and willingness to work with public Title 1 schools in diverse communities.
- Deep interest in student based learning and curriculum based education.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/849436.html
Please apply by September 23, 2022 for priority consideration.
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC NPS Recruitment and Outreach Manager, Victoria Yee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.