Internship: Energy and Climate Equity - Equitable Engagement
Albany, NY; New York, NY
Type of Job
$15/hour - $17/hour
Jan 17, 2023
About the job
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA), New York has codified the most aggressive climate change policy in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035; 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025; and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
Achievement of the energy, environmental, and climate justice objectives of the Climate Act will require all communities to be actively engaged in the clean energy transition, including residents and communities that have traditionally faced barriers to participating in or otherwise benefitting from New York’s emerging clean energy economy.
This is a paid internship for current, full-time students. The pay rate is from $15 to $17 per hour based on current class year. This internship will begin in the Spring 2023 semester and continue through the Summer and academic year. Interns work up to 18.5 hours per week during the semester, and up to 37.5 hours per week in between semesters, when not attending classes.
NYSERDA will stand up a multifaceted statewide Energy Equity Collaborative with the goal of transforming and reimagining NYSERDA’s equitable engagement strategies with disadvantaged communities in New York State, in coordination with an interagency taskforce.
In support of these equitable engagement strategy efforts, the intern’s primary responsibilities will be to:
- Perform data analytic and market research for nationwide trends/policy guidelines, administrative, and other functions necessary to support the implementation of new engagement efforts focused on disadvantaged communities
- Coordinate between NYSERDA program and support teams on various tasks/initiatives (e.g., Regional Hubs, Energy Equity Collaborative, Equity Stewards Network)
- Contribute to the administration and operationalization of our equitable engagement initiatives and business processes
- Develop a working knowledge of NYSERDA’s Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform, manage and contribute to working group meetings with the Salesforce Team, update and maintain quality of data records, in a timely manner, of our Environmental and Climate Justice Stakeholder Salesforce campaign list to ensure accuracy, and track external stakeholder engagement interactions via our CRM data platform
- Contribute to the development of a Salesforce CRM user guide for internal NYSERDA stakeholders
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess include:
- Current, full-time student.
- Strong verbal and writing skills to effectively communicate with a diverse group of individuals and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to research primary and secondary sources.
- Skills in managing multiple tasks/activities, meeting project timelines and delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and contribution of one’s own perspectives.
- Strong work ethic, organizational, time-management skills, and ability to work independently, both in-office and remotely.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of programs and ability to produce and deliver reports, presentations, and other documents.
- Enthusiasm for and eagerness to learn about energy issues as they relate to the quality of life for residents of New York State’s disadvantaged communities.
- Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM) experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in other languages is a plus.