Interim State Manager, Massachusetts
remote in MA
Type of Job
Aug 25, 2023
About the job
Department: Campaigns & Organizing
Reports to: Senior Regional Manager
Supervises: Growing team of local Campaigners and Organizers
About Mothers Out Front
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are growing a multi-racial, cross-class, intergenerational movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate justice movement, and, when it comes to protecting children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change. Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate justice work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together and win campaigns in their communities, cities, and states.
About the Role
We are seeking a highly motivated leader to drive the success of Mothers Out Front’s campaigns and organizing efforts within Massachusetts while our full-time state manager is out for an extended period of time. For six to nine months, you will lead a team of campaigners and organizers in your state, helping to ensure the effective development and execution of local, state, and national campaign strategy and tactics. You will guide member growth, member-led team development, and power building. This is an interim position with the possibility to convert to another full time role once the full-time state manager returns.
What You’ll Do
- Supervise and mentor a team of campaigners, senior campaigners, organizers, and senior organizers.
- Coach staff to effectively support member teams in their campaigning and organizing and maximize the effectiveness of their campaigning and organizing initiatives.
- Facilitate the development of local, state, and national campaigns, working with staff campaigners and organizers as well as member leaders to develop strategies and tactics that incorporate strong theories of change and a mix of digital and on-the-ground tactics; Facilitate iteration and revision of campaign plans in response to changing real-world developments.
- In collaboration with the Member Learning and Success Team and organizers, ensure members and volunteer leaders have the training and tools needed to campaign and organize successfully.
- Develop a state-wide budget, growth and diversification strategy to build new member-lead teams through local in-person and digital tactics.
- Build relationships with movement partners across the state and represent MOF in statewide coalitions; support staff and member leaders to participate in state, regional, and national coalitions as needed.
- Coordinate with Regional Manager and MOF communications staff to ensure effective and locally relevant implementation of communications plans, narratives, and messages.
- Coordinate with Regional Digital Manager and other staff to ensure best available digital strategies and tactics are in place to support statewide campaigns and organizing.
- Represent MOF externally, including with state and local policymakers and state media.
- Ensure member data is ethically collected and added to the organization’s databases in a timely manner for effective measurement, evaluation, and analysis.
What You’ll Need
- At least 6 years experience in campaigning and organizing in grassroots, issue advocacy, or electoral settings within the state.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and adapt comprehensive advocacy campaign strategies in changing contexts; Familiarity and comfort with systems-based approaches to change is desirable.
- Experience training and developing staff and community members in organizing, power building, community advocacy, and/or influencing policy.
- Experience collaborating with communications specialists and contributing to media strategies.
- Experience managing, coaching, and empowering staff.
- Strong project management skills, coupled with sharp attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities; Demonstrable focus, resilience, and the problem-solving skill to develop solutions under challenging circumstances.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to distill complex ideas into clear, compelling messages.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and engage effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Commitment to social justice, diversity, and inclusion: Demonstrates a strong commitment to social justice and actively works to dismantle systems of oppression, including racism, sexism, misogyny, classism, ableism, homophobia, xenophobia, and other forms of discrimination. Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as varying religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds.
- A strong understanding of how climate change disproportionately impacts low income and marginalized communities and environmental and climate justice solutions that address these inequalities is highly desirable.
- Openness to ongoing learning and coaching from colleagues at every level.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment where teamwork, collegiality and self-motivation are necessary for success.
- Ability to travel at least 20% of the time, primarily short trips within the state with a few longer trips per year.
Details: Mothers Out Front is a fully remote organization. Candidates must be based in Massachusetts and will work from a home office. This is a full-time, temporary contract position with a 6-9 month contract, ideally starting September 2023.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for a State Manager is $78,000 - $88,000, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
To apply: Please attach your resume to this form and respond to the application questions. The priority deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 6, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.