Information Security Specialist
Type of Job
Jul 12, 2022
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation's mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
The nation’s most trusted conservation organization has an opportunity for an Information Security Specialist to join our team. NWF is dedicated to ensure wildlife continue to thrive and our Information Security Specialist will be part of the team charged with assessing security measures and implementing processes to continuously improve NWF’s cybersecurity baseline.
This position will work closely with IT, Legal and the NWF Information Security Council to ensure ongoing NIST-CSF compliance, information security and incident response. We are looking for a talented professional who has the technical knowledge, experience, and relationship building skills to implement and maintain a smart security program at NWF. This position is based out of Reston, Virginia and will work under the direction of the Associate VP of Information Technology in a hybrid work model primarily remote with some onsite at our HQ office in Reston, VA.
In this role you will:
- Co-lead a cross-departmental Incident Response Team and advise other NWF stakeholders on existing vulnerabilities and needed actions
- Coordinate with IT staff in the administration of security awareness training, security end-user communication and training materials
- Create and maintain security policies and procedures
- Monitor and ensure compliance with information security policies and procedures including internal auditing, technical reviews and identification of security risks
- Directly assist in the testing, selection, design, implementation, documentation, operation, and maintenance of security technologies
- Create and maintain security architecture designs, documentation and diagrams for applications and systems
- Coordinate vulnerability assessments and provide recommendations for remediation
- Maintain vendor risk management processes and policies
- Keep up to date with evolving threats, relevant technologies and data security laws and update internal procedures accordingly
- Serve as a project team member on engagements executed within the Strategic Business Operations department. These can be projects led by other teams with tasks related to security, or IT-driven projects
- Gain and retain knowledge of programs and business lines across NWF
You will need:
- Working knowledge of NIST-CSF controls and policies. Experience with additional frameworks a plus
- At least 2 years of experience complying with related industry regulations and preparing for responding to information security audits and questionnaires
- Identify and integrate security best practices across NWF business lines
- Time management skills to address a wide variety of projects and tasks simultaneously; aptitude for prioritizing the most important issues
- Influence and Collaboration skills: Ability to adapt, apply finesse, and influence others with adept conflict resolution and negotiation skills to achieve positive results
- Ability to build relationships at all levels in an organization; seek opinions while maintaining confidentiality to provide appropriate solutions and decisions
- Excellent verbal, visual and written communication skills; able to work effectively and clearly virtually and in-person with different audiences, including non-technical and highly technical personnel
- Growth mindset to help transform NWF cybersecurity processes into everyday business practices
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Security or equivalent experience required
- Preference to candidates with security certificates such as CISM or CISSP
- Two years’ work experience in Cyber Security related duties such as incident detection and response, and forensics.
- Working knowledge and experience with SIEM or MDR systems
- Experience with KnowBe4 and GRC platforms a plus
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience, in the range of $110,000-$115,000.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.