Human Resources Coordinator
Type of Job
$40K - $48K DOE
Oct 19, 2023
About the job
Position Description: The Great Basin Institute (GBI) provides an exciting workplace, as a growing environmental nonprofit employer just concluding its 25th year of operations. This Human Resources (HR) Coordinator role is a new position to GBI, and intended to enhance our current HR capacity, allowing for new levels of staff support addressing our people-centered needs. The primary duty of the Human Resources Coordinator is to support administration of key HR, employee relations functions including: orientation, employee assistance, personnel records, compliance for all federal and state employment laws, and benefits. This individual will collaborate with GBI Programs and Administrative departments as we seek to deliver the best employment experience possible.
Essential Job Functions may include the following:
- Consults with Program Coordinators & Managers in providing HR support for collecting & filing documentation, including but not limited to: workers compensation documentation, benefit program enrollment/termination, and incident report documentation.
- Maintains a current process workflow for on-boarding new hires and off-boarding of outgoing employees.
- Assist Programs with HRIS support with Employee Set-Up Forms and other key on-boarding processes for new hires.
- Assists with benefit enrollment and termination support as employees enroll and separate, including offering COBRA benefits and meeting regulatory deadlines throughout the off-boarding process.
- Coordinate with Finance for regular audits of terminating employees, status updates, and benefit termination status within HRIS and benefit platforms for medical, dental, vision, and 401K.
- Works with benefit partners to schedule monthly new hire orientation meetings and further education opportunities around existing tools, platforms, or new benefit resources.
- Works with Program Coordinators to develop and maintain accurate and timely tracking of Terminated Employees and next actions.
- Assists with employee requests for various HR needs.
- Supports maintenance of organizational human resources information systems.
- Collaborates with HR Generalist on ideas to create efficiency and improvement in HR related processes.
- Promotes effective communication.
- Maintaining a safe and clean work environment.
- Maintaining professional and courteous appearance and demeanor.
Requirements & Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily carry out each essential duty. The requirements and qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability expected to perform this role adequately.
- One or more years of combined professional experience across HR disciplines (compliance, administration, office management, employee relations, recruitment, or in other like fields).
- Ability to identify and learn state and federal regulations and organizational policies and procedures related to but not limited to: benefits, compensation, employment, training, development, anti-harassment policies, equal employment opportunity, and affirmative action.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook or Google Suite and Gmail.
- Knowledge of HR-specific or comparable information systems and databases.
- Attentiveness in resolving HR related inquiries and questions with empathy, active listening, oral and written communication in a timely manner.
- Polite, courteous, and professional demeanor.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt with GBI’s seasonal workforce needs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, stand, walk, bend, and have specific vision abilities to include close and distance vision, and ability to adjust focus working with computer business equipment and other job/industry specific equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
The overall nature of the position is sedentary, requiring little physical effort and occasional light exertion. There is occasional exposure to environmental conditions such as heat, cold, and temperature changes.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Starting annual salary is $40K - $48K DOE. In addition to a competitive base salary, this full-time,
onsite position includes comprehensive medical (100% covered by GBI for employees: zero premium, zero deductible), dental, and vision insurance, as well as mental health support resources, 401(k) retirement savings with up to 4% GBI match, competitive PTO accrual, paid holidays (10 per year), and family leave. Total compensation package is $46K - $55K per year, DOE. This exciting role contributes to GBI’s significant positive impacts within the fields of environmental research, education, and conservation.
Please submit an up-to-date resume, one-page cover letter and contact information for three
professional references to the application link https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/Careers.aspx?req=2023-GBI-022&type=JOBDESCR Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. For questions regarding this position, please contact
Based at GBI offices in Reno, NV. The city sits in a high desert at ~4,500 feet in elevation, at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains, along the Truckee River as it flows from Lake Tahoe to Pyramid Lake. Reno offers easy access to world-class outdoor recreation in the Lake Tahoe Basin and Sierras to the west. Yosemite, Lassen and Death Valley National Parks, the Pacific Ocean, and California redwood forests are each a 3-5-hour drive away.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Disclaimer: Although the Company has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, the Company reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of the Company, at any time, with or without advance notice.