HR Intern, Internship Program
Type of Job
Oct 27, 2022
About the job
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
The Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) welcomes over 100 interns annually and works with internal and external stakeholders to ensure a top-notch learning experience. Programming and support is a balance between internal stakeholders and external colleges/university partnerships. Interns follow fall/spring/summer cycles, with most interns joining EDF as part of the Summer Internship Program.
The Summer Internship Program is a robust experience for interns who join EDF from all over the globe, bringing with them diversity of experiences, interests, personalities, and perspectives.
The goal of the program is to develop intern professionalism in the workplace, expose them to EDF’s cutting-edge research, build a network, and foster a sense of community through social gatherings. The program is managed by EDF’s Human Resources (HR) team. HR is focused on the heart of EDF’s mission and is dedicated to providing a positive experience and support to all of EDF’s staff in their important and effective work.
The HR Intern will focus on planning and setting up events for the 2023 Summer Internship Program and assist with the recruitment and onboarding of Summer Interns. The Intern will work with internal stakeholders within the HR team and across EDF to coordinate details and increase engagement related to intern events. The HR Intern will report to a member of our Interns & Fellows Program team.
- Work with the Interns and Fellows Program team and collaborate with Intern Ambassadors to set up annual Summer Internship Program.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Support in the coordination of a structured learning program that includes professional development training sessions, speaker series, and engagement with leaders across EDF including facilitating lunches with President, Fred Krupp.
- Prepare recruitment and onboarding documents such as updating welcome packets, intern profiles, and payment paperwork.
- Upkeep and track changes to project lists and other trackers using Smartsheets and Excel.
- Support in the designing, purchasing, and distribution of brand merchandise.
- Assist with ad-hoc projects related to EDF’s Internship Program.
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in Human Resources, Events Management, Non-Profit Management, Project Management, or related fields.
- Must be at a junior or senior year level in their undergraduate program.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due.
- Demonstrate self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Intermediate proficiency with Excel, Smartsheets, or other project management tools.
- Interest in environmental advocacy is desirable but not required.
- Strong interest in internal non-profit operations or human resources preferred.
Hybrid out of any US office location or U.S. remote
Spring term, January-May 2023, with the option to extend to August.
Part-time (10-20 hr/week), with the option to transition to full time (35 hr/week) in the summer term.
This internship would involve either compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits at $17/hr or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Interested applicants should attach a cover letter indicating why they are interested in this opportunity, and their resume to the EDF application. Apply here: https://www.edf.org/jobs/hr-intern-internship-program-0