Type of Job
$18.00 per hour
Aug 12, 2021
About the job
FLSA Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Compensation: $18.00 per hour
Post Date: August 5, 2021
Application deadline: September 6, 2021
Under the direction of the Project Manager, the Health Navigator is responsible for assisting clients navigate and access community services and social supportive resources including ensuring the client has health coverage, coordination of transportation to access their health care, scheduling of appointments and coordinating the referral process between Sacramento-area community health centers/primary care clinics, and social supportive resources. The priority goal for the HN is to find healthcare homes for uninsured and underinsured clients, where they can receive appropriate levels of care with the desired outcome being improved health for designated patient populations.
- Make face-to-face and telephonic connections and build rapport with clients at designated locations including but not limited to Sacramento Covered’s main office, co-location sites including but not limited to schools, community based organizations, health centers, hospital departments and near jails.
- Assist clients to navigate the health care system and connect them to resources that support appropriate utilization of care (transportation, interpreting, legal services) including connecting consumers to primary care physicians, dentists and mental health providers within their selected health plans.
- Make follow-up calls and monitor progress of clients to ensure positive outcomes, including on successful referrals and reduction in hospital readmission for primary care.
- Serve as liaisons between clients and providers to find appropriate care centers and connect with providers.
- Educates and link clients to primary care physicians and dentists within their selected health plans as well as other resources including CalFresh, WIC, etc.
- Participates in community and business-based outreach efforts to identify uninsured consumers and creates awareness of Sacramento Covered services.
- Enters clients’ data according to data collection platform(s) including but not limited to excel spreadsheets and Salesforce.
- Maintains clients’ confidence and protects program by keeping information confidential.
- Other duties as assigned.
Click HERE to see the full list of benefits that Sacramento Covered offers.
- Educational Attainment: High School diploma or GED required. Completion of an Associate Arts Degree is preferred with an emphasis in social services, psychology or any health related field.
- Employment Experience: Two years’ experience is preferred in a health care, social service setting including any experience conducting community outreach, case management, interpreting or client-focused services.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Abilities
- Awareness of socio-cultural characteristics of populations served by Sacramento Covered, including but not limited to underserved, underinsured, mixed immigration households, and re-entry populations.
- Cultural awareness and competency skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to read, write, speak and understand English clearly.
- Bilingual in English and needed language (Typically: Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Farsi, Vietnamese, etc), desired but not required.
- Must be able to work flexible hours (morning, afternoon and or evening shifts including weekends as needed).
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel within the County.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and pass a background/fingerprint check.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently on individual and assigned tasks while exhibiting good judgment.
- Ability to work as a team member including in co-location settings such as clinics, hospitals, near jail, and community sites with clinicians and professionals.
- Provide information in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate to the needs of the client. Serve as a resource for clients, other navigators and clinical staff.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications preferred.
- Problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize assignments and enter quality data.
· Physically able to walk, stand, stoop and lift, good manual dexterity, visual and auditory acuity.
Successful candidates will have a strong knowledge of community resources in Sacramento and be familiar with community based health care delivery. Familiarity and working knowledge of Medi-Cal, CalFresh, and other public programs is preferred but not required. Completion of Certified Enrollment Counselor training and/or experience in providing application assistance for Medi-Cal and other public benefit programs is desired.
This job is located in Midtown, Sacramento.