Head of Finance
San Francisco Bay Area
Type of Job
competitive, commensurate with experience
Aug 2, 2022
About the job
(Lever job description here)
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Heirloom is seeking an experienced finance executive to take it through a high-growth phase, with increasing complexity, rapid expansion, a larger geographic footprint, and the demands on infrastructure and resources that rapid growth typically drives. Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Finance must be a leader with demonstrated success in entrepreneurial and competitive environments and have a broad base of business skills to partner with the CEO and management team to ensure the scalability of Heirloom’s growing business. Heirloom is headquartered in Brisbane, CA, with potential for a remote or partial remote position.
What you will do
- Enhance Heirloom's long-term financial viability, working closely with Commercialization to shape creative financing methods for carbon removal deployments
- Lead fundraising efforts to scale technology and enable continuous innovation
- Articulate company strategy and financial performance to the Board of Directors, investors/shareholders, as well as build consensus internally around the importance of the financial function to the continued success of the organization
- Provide the analytical framework and financial metrics to enable informed, astute business decisions
- Lead and grow a world-class finance organization
What you will bring
- Proven success as the Finance Lead in an early-stage, entrepreneurial environment within a high-growth renewable energy, manufacturing or industrial company. Experience in ClimateTech is a plus
- Capital intensive industry experience with extensive long term financing, including leading fundraising efforts while driving a company to reach scale
- Structured finance experience, including shaping creative financing methods for capital expenditures (project finance, contracts, grants, SPVs, venture equity/debt, private equity/debt, corporate equity/debt)
- Experience with complex metrics-driven financial planning. Able to translate strategy into measurable operational goals and objectives
- Strong analytical and strategic background, with experience leading corporate development efforts
- Business acumen and stature to gain immediate respect and credibility from investors and the team
- Strong team building and mentorship skills cross-functionally
- Passion for Heirloom's mission to materially impact climate change
- Minimum of 15+ years experience in senior financial positions
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.