Head of Deployment
San Francisco Bay Area
Type of Job
competitive, commensurate with experience
Aug 2, 2022
About the job
(Lever job description here)
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Deployment will be responsible for leading the first full scale carbon removal deployment in North America and subsequent scaling of the Heirloom network. This person will build and lead an organization that designs, deploys and commissions new Heirloom carbon removal sites in a highly scaleable fashion. This senior executive role will also drive shared alignment with a Field Operations team to enable day-to-day operations and comprehensive site management.
This is a unique position that likely will require strong construction skills and experiences gained in other industries (i.e. renewable energy, manufacturing, industrials) to be applied and modified to fit Heirloom’s needs. The Head of Deployment will wear multiple hats and serves as an agile and critical member of the Heirloom leadership team, which is based in Brisbane, CA.
What you will do
- Deployment: Prepare comprehensive site readiness from machines to power, water, sewer, etc. for all future sites, installation onsite, and management and maintenance of R&D facilities
- Strategic design: Bridge any gaps between design engineering and construction to accelerate project timelines and efficiently scope builds. Design for Field Operations as a primary customer to manage the day to day of the carbon removal process
- Functional leadership: Build and scale high-performance teams, develop and continuously improve robust processes and systems that drive growth, profitability, and repeatability
What you will bring
- Successful performance completing capital projects on-time, on-spec and on-budget
- Deep experience with modular infrastructure/industrial construction
- Significant experience in end-to-end operational management in field-based operations or a distributed workforce
- Project management or continuous improvement capability
- High financial acumen
- Customer / commercial orientation
- Ideally experience in an organization going through high growth / scaling where the leader would have been responsible for developing new capability or processes
- Minimum of undergraduate degree ideally in engineering (or demonstrable, applied technical acumen)
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.