Gulf Coast Energy Campaigner
Texas or Louisiana
Type of Job
About the job
Earthworks is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of mineral and energy development while promoting sustainable solutions. We fulfill our mission by supporting communities and grassroots groups; exposing and publicizing the impacts of the mining and oil and gas industries; advocating for stronger government policies and regulations; and working to improve corporate practices and accountability. We seek to ensure that communities’ voices and concerns are heard in the corridors of power, from the nation’s capital to state houses and legislatures.
The Gulf Coast Energy Campaigner is responsible for Earthworks’ engagement in campaigns to prevent petrochemical facilities from being built on the Gulf Coast of Texas and Louisiana in order to protect human health and human rights and to prevent global warming of more than 1.5 degree Celsius.
This position works closely with Earthworks’ program staff who work to reduce risks to water, health, air and climate from oil and gas production, with our communication, digital and development departments, and will participate in, and help to facilitate, engagement with the national movement to reduce the use of plastics. The ideal candidate will thrive at managing multiple priorities in a dynamic and fast-paced campaigning environment, advancing and empowering leadership from frontline affected communities, and maintaining solid relationships with diverse partners.
The Gulf Coast Energy Campaigner will report to Earthworks’ Interim Infrastructure and Petrochemicals Campaign Manager and will join our energy program which includes federal policy experts, communications staff, development staff and a field advocate team active in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania and California.
- Lead our efforts opposing petrochemical facilities proposed for the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast
- Engage and support Gulf Coast communities living with the impacts of petrochemical facilities
- Engage with the broader US movement to reduce plastics.
- Assist with fieldwork for the Community Empowerment Project in the greater Texas Gulf Coast region as needed, related to petrochemical facilities.
- In collaboration with communications staff, publicize the health and climate impacts of petrochemical
- Collaborate with and support the Energy team and ensure our petrochemical strategies are prioritized in alignment with broader energy program goals and Earthworks’ mission, vision and strategic plan;
- Support the energy team with written and verbal communications and materials as needed for maintaining ally relations, negotiations with corporate targets, media interviews and donor meetings;
- Maintain relationships with coalition partners and allies through organizing, outreach, and collaboration;
- Represent Earthworks at external events and provide motivation and tools to grassroots constituencies;
- Recruit and support frontline grassroots public and media spokespeople for the campaigns;
- Act as an Earthworks’ public and media spokesperson for the campaigns;
- Share organizational responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace;
- Experience in conducting field-based work and engaging communities;
- At least 3 years experience running advocacy campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience with offline and online organizing and campaigning tactics, as well as digital campaigning tactics;
- Demonstrated ability to persuade changes from entrenched targets;
- Familiarity with nonprofit fundraising;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues on fundraising, communicating, digital organizing, and community relationship building;
- Commitment and experience working with frontline communities and working towards racial justice;
- Demonstrated understanding of grassroots organizing, movement building and tactical escalation;
- Fluency with Spanish strongly preferred;
- Excellent written communications skills and experience with blogging, social media, online membership communication, fundraising proposals, and research projects;
- Excellent oral communication skills and experience with public speaking and facilitating meetings;
- Ability to travel frequently when safe to do so;
- Campaign experience in some or all of the following areas: climate change, petrochemical production, human rights, energy policy, specific fossil fuel sectors, finance, corporate social responsibility;
- Experience with management of contractors and volunteers to achieve project objectives;
- Ability to work both on one’s own and under direction as part of a project team.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small to medium non-profits, ranging from $50 – $56K depending on experience. Benefits include full health and dental coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), paid vacation, and a 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match after one year. Additionally, after 7 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month, fully paid sabbatical.
Changes in the job description are possible as the campaigns evolve. The position is based in the Texas or Louisiana Gulf Coast Area.
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Earthworks’ Board and staff understand that promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement.
Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal-opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and 2 short writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include links to blogs, Op-Eds, social media handles, websites, or any other online presence that highlights your experience. No phone calls please.