Green Infrastructure Specialist
4302 Baltimore Avenue, Bladesn
Type of Job
$50K-$60K, depending on level of experience
Dec 15, 2022
About the job
The Anacostia Watershed Society seeks a Green Infrastructure Specialist to inspire and inform diverse communities about the Anacostia Watershed, and develop and implement innovative green infrastructure strategies to restore the Anacostia River. This position will manage, administer, and be responsible for designing and implementing meaningful green infrastructure programs and projects within DC and Maryland that engage diverse communities and stakeholders in our restoration efforts. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate capability and interest in participating in other Anacostia Watershed Society programs such as school-based education, adult education, and recreation. The Green Infrastructure Specialist is a critical part of the River Restoration Team, works directly with the Director of River Restoration Programs, and works collaboratively across the organization.
The Green Infrastructure Specialist is an integral part of the organization and is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the watershed’s restoration and the engagement of diverse communities, partners, and other stakeholders to deliver on our mission to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed by bringing partners and communities together to achieve a clean and safe Anacostia River for the benefit of all living in its watershed and for future generations.
About the Anacostia Watershed Society
Since its founding in 1989, the Anacostia Watershed Society has worked to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed communities. Over the past 30 years, AWS has grown and developed from a small group of concerned individuals into an award-winning non-profit, with an annual budget of $3 million, that is deeply involved in a cause that affects many different Washington, D.C. metro area communities within the 176 square-mile watershed.
As part of its mission, the Anacostia Watershed Society works with schools and students throughout Washington, D.C. and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, engaging them in an experience that educates them through hands-on service and allows them to play a part in the continuing improvement of the Anacostia River watershed. In addition, AWS serves as a voice for the river; advocating for and actively involving itself in policies, actions, and programs that protect its ecological health, improve water quality, and work to mitigate the negative effects of stormwater, bacteria, and trash.
1. Serve as lead staff in designing and implementing green infrastructure projects at high impact locations for engagement, education, and demonstration throughout the watershed. Participate in planning for the long-term sustainability of green infrastructure programs that achieve river restoration goals, reduce the impact of storm water, and improve the quality of life for communities, plants, and wildlife.
· Utilize necessary technology to prepare high quality concept designs, planting plans, and permit applications.
· Develop meaningful outreach and education events related to green infrastructure projects with diverse audiences. Ensure that all green infrastructure projects have community buy-in and lead to long-term maintenance of installed projects.
· Serve as technical expert and support on green infrastructure projects for the organization.
2. Assist with grant management tasks for green infrastructure programs.
· Support grant writing efforts by developing program narrative and budgets.
· Track project tasks, secure necessary permits, and communicate effectively with relevant AWS staff and other stakeholders.
· Comply with all contract and financial requirements, including timesheet, expense report, and progress/final reports.
· Build and maintain relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders.
3. Participate in organization-wide efforts, strategic planning, and other tasks as assigned.
· Support school-based and adult education programs as lead concept designer and green infrastructure expert.
· Develop innovative ways to educate, engage, and empower community members to be advocates for and stewards of the Anacostia River.
· Interest and/or experience in environmental conservation and enthusiasm for and comfort in the outdoors.
· Demonstrated knowledge, commitment, and passion for environmental sustainability, environmental justice, and the importance of inspiring diverse stakeholders and community members to design and deliver impactful community-based restoration programs, preferably in the urban environment.
· Effective delegation of tasks to staff or contractors, with the result that work is completed in a timely manner and advances the goals of the organization and the objectives of its programs.
· Ability to inspire and support others to do their best work, including listening to others, providing helpful feedback, understanding their needs and priorities, and being proactive in communicating the information upon which they depend.
· Ability to collaboratively evaluate effectiveness, adapt program design and implementation, develop annual work plans, etc.
· Strong written/verbal communication skills, including persuasive and effective communication that forwards the purpose and mission of the organization.
· Self-motivation, innovation, resourcefulness, and a collaborative team player; effective problem-solving and decision-making skills; ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Willing, motivated, and able to work a flexible schedule that includes frequent evenings and weekends, work in the field, often outside in variable weather, travel and driving to field sites and partner/funding meetings.
· Some physical work required (i.e. ability to lift up to 30 pounds).
Required Qualifications and Experiences
· Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent years of relevant experience in landscape architecture, landscape design, construction, project management, horticulture, stormwater management, environmental sciences or related field.
· 1-3 years of experience with green infrastructure design and/or installation.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite.
· Expertise in choosing appropriate local native plants (herbaceous, shrubs, trees) for green infrastructure installations and natural habitats such as meadows, riparian corridors, and upland forests.
· Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
· Current CPR/First Aid certification strongly preferred and/or required upon hiring.
· Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
· We partner with and support multiple people in the communities we serve, and, therefore, require COVID-19 vaccination for all AWS staff.
We are offering a competitive compensation package that includes a competitive base salary and benefits package. Salary range is between $50K to $60K depending on level of experience.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and a résumé formally expressing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AWS encourages and embraces diversity.
We seek qualified applicants that reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve.