top of page
Grassroots Advocacy Manager
Durango, CO or Remote
Type of Job
$25,000 – $37,000 based on experience
May 26, 2023
About the job
Grassroots Advocacy Manager
OUR MISSION: Great Old Broads for Wilderness is a women-led national grassroots organization that engages and inspires activism to preserve and protect wilderness and wild lands.
The Grassroots Advocacy Manager supports the Broads’ efforts to advance protections of our wilderness and wildlands.
This role will have a strong focus on building and maintaining relationships with Broadband leaders, community leaders and partner groups. They will collaborate with the Executive Director to oversee the development of the Broadbands’ grassroots advocacy agenda and oversee its implementation and execution; and, represent Broads’ in community engagement and coalition work with advocacy partners.
This is a permanent, exempt, part-time position. Broads is willing to consider applicants who may be interested in this as a contract position and not an employee.
- Reports to the Executive Director.
- Some weekend/evening hours are required, some travel required.
- Broads allows for flexible work schedules.
- This position can be a remote position.
- Work with the Grassroots Leadership Director in overseeing, managing, and mentoring the Grassroots Regional Coordinators.
- May play a role in recruitment, hiring, and termination of Grassroots Leadership Program staff.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Work with the Executive Director to define and develop the organization’s advocacy agenda based on current organizational priorities.
- Identify and monitor pending federal legislative initiatives and other advocacy issues that fall under the scope and interests of Broads’ mission.
- Support Broadbands to identify key stakeholders, organizations, businesses, and communities as potential partners for our advocacy work.
- Support the Broadbands in their advocacy work.
- Develop and maintain relationships with potential partners and stakeholders.
- Assist in developing talking points, outreach materials, training, etc. to inform internal and external audiences of our policy and advocacy work and why it matters.
- Supports building relationships and collaborations with communities who have been historically underrepresented in the mainstream conservation movement.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director to support the mission and success of the organization.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum three (3) years advocacy experience, preferably in a conservation organization with volunteer constituencies.
- Experience in public lands advocacy, political strategy and activism; conservation/public land management.
- Familiarity with agency policy/management plan development and how to engage in the process
- Experience writing comments preferred.
- Knowledgeable in current, effective grassroots organizing models and processes.
- Skilled in executing and leading trainings in advocacy, campaigns, and issues related to public land issues.
- Have an outgoing and friendly personality with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A passion for community organizing and relationship development.
- Ability to work well with and inspire a diverse range of volunteers (age, personalities, knowledge base, experience levels, computer skills).
- Excellent writing, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to consistently follow through with commitments.
- Can handle multiple projects and meet established timelines and reporting requirements.
- Proficient in MS Office, Google Drive, Google groups and tools, social media, spreadsheets, and listservs.
- Constant Contact experience is a plus.
- Willingness and able to engage in outdoor activities (e.g.: hiking, car camping, event setup) in variable weather for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work independently and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Effective, self-motivated, efficient, and energetic team player, with a great sense of humor.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range is $25,000 – $37,000 based on experience.
Paid Time Off
Cell phone reimbursement
Want to join our Team? Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled, the review process of applications will begin on June 5th, so please apply early.
Great Old Broads for Wilderness is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. See our diversity, equity, and inclusivity values here.
Back to Careers
bottom of page