Type of Job
$65,000 - $75,000
Nov 17, 2022
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change. Now, facing an ever more unstable climate, wildlife in crisis, and environmental and social inequality and injustices, our mission is more critical than ever.
We are looking for an experienced, creative, talented graphic designer (catalog designer) to join our Mission Products Department. You have the mastery and passion for building and working within a structured layout while strategically and creatively spotlighting top-selling products and introducing new ones through visual storytelling. In this role, you will design our collection of product catalogs and other creative assets to support our e-commerce business. The ideal candidate will have strong layout and typographic skills and experience in catalog or publication design.
Your primary responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and implement layout for seven catalogs, each with multiple mail drops, throughout a calendar year
- Design promotional direct mail, including tri-fold brochures and postcards
- Help create illustration/graphic elements for products such as greeting cards
- Create web banners and tiles for the e-commerce website, design digital marketing assets, such as email banners and social media graphics, and ensure stylistic consistency across touchpoints
- Prepare final design documents that meet technical specifications and vendor requirements and ensure files are well-organized and packaged for delivery
- Review and approve digital and other prepress proofs for printing
- Work with vendors to troubleshoot any technical issues and ensure final products are of the highest quality
- Prioritize and manage project schedules and meet critical deadlines throughout the project cycle to ensure on-time delivery
- Collaborate with Mission Products, Marketing, and Creative to understand business goals and marketing strategies and help evolve the design direction for the catalogs
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in graphic design or a similar discipline
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in graphic design
- Strong portfolio of work that includes samples of print catalog or publication design
- High proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (primarily InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, and Acrobat Pro) and Mac OS
- In-depth understanding of offset and digital printing, technical specifications, and color spaces
- Experience in catalog design
- Skills in tabletop photography and product styling
- Strong skills in Photoshop retouching
- Experience in animation/motion graphic
- Ability to listen and respond productively to feedback and articulate rationale for creative decisions
- Self-motivated and a continuous learner
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Strong communication and time-management skills
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Location and Work Mode:
This position will be based in our National Advocacy Center in Washington, DC . The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in in the office or in a hybrid manner, with the possibility of being fully remote, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is currently $65,000 – $75,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, and are continuing to explore what our future of work will be moving forward. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.